Soliciting scooter purchasing advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you bought me a Cuda I would be willing to try it out and let you know if you should buy one for yourself :crafty:

HA-HA... :rofl3:

I bought a Sierra about 4 months ago. I'll tell you my reasoning for the choice.

The CUDA's only advantage in my research was: 1) range 2) speed - The speed and range are only viable if you're diving with a team of all CUDA's - otherwise you're always going to be limited by the smallest, slowest scooter on the team.

The Sierra has a much smaller form factor which makes it the preferred choice on boats, or for travel, or lugging down the beach or in heavy surf; another big requirement for me.

Another reason was that if I ever need the distance of a CUDA I can buy a DSS fury battery for my Sierra which will give it more range than a CUDA, in the small Sierra package. win/win with only a small cost differential between a CUDA and a DSS equipped Sierra.

Even a stock Sierra has very reasonable range. I've done several full doubles dives at Lobos, well outside the cove and back and still had juice left. Unless you're on the trigger constantly, which is not normally not the case, the Sierra is a great balance between cost/efficiency/size.

I bought a Sierra about 4 months ago. I'll tell you my reasoning for the choice.

Thanks - your reasoning mirrors mine, and I'm glad to hear I'm not totally crazy for it. :D

I'm leaning towards the Sierra at this point.

One of the good things about having a shorter scooter is that it's a no-brainer to bring it on any dive. The length of the Cuda gets in the way for people that are less than 6 ft in ht... Yes the extra speed and range would be nice but like Anti-hero stated unless everyone has a Cuda they'll be travelling at the same speed anyway.

There are also a bunch of guys with Gavins out there but you don't see them bringing their scooters out alot unless it's Lobos or a boat dive. Why buy a scooter if you aren't going to use it?

Back
Top Bottom