UTD Scooter 1 Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikemill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got done doing the DPV class with AG, Erik Sandvik, and Dave Harris. We did it over three days and I had a great time.

Friday we meet at the Breakwater in Monterey, went through the lecture and dry runs. Then we did a simple dive doing a few skills and just practicing turning with the scooter. It was a nice dive to have as none of us had dove with each other before (well perhaps AG and Dave have, but none of the students). It was great seeing us working together as a team and even handling a calf cramp on my legs. Friday also served as a feeler for how much out of water communication to expect. I really think Friday at BW make the rest of the weekend smoother.

Saturday and Sunday we did at Point Lobos State Reserve. This is a place made for scooters.

On Saturday we did the safety stuff: towing scooter, towing diver, S-drill + tow, and S-drill + side-by-side scooter. I was surprised by how much easier, comfortable, and effective the side-by-side air share was verses towing. I think Saturday was the most testing of days as none of us are perfect at the S-drill so we had some interesting outcomes. But again we stayed together as a team.

On Sunday we did crash avoidance and run away control. On the top side we agreed to transition right from the end of skills to a fun dive. So in the water we just jammed through the skills and then got to see more of park.

The feedback from AG was helpful and his constant assurance that he wasn't looking for perfection in the skills helped relieve some of the stress and made it a fun class. On Friday we were discussion the range of the scooter and AG points out two buoys and asks us to guess the distances. After the guesses he tells us the distance and we realize exactly how much trouble the scooter can get us in if we aren't careful.

I really believe I can now go out and do safe and fun scooter dives as I build up my skill and knowledge of the area.

It was a great weekend and a very worthwhile class.

Thanks for the report, Mike! Glad you had fun.

I agree -- Lobos is MADE for scooters. And once you have scooters, you can go out to the deep ridges where all the hydrocoral is . . . and then you need doubles. But once you have the doubles, you have enough gas to go into deco, so then you need tech training. It never ends!

I agree -- Lobos is MADE for scooters. And once you have scooters, you can go out to the deep ridges where all the hydrocoral is . . . and then you need doubles. But once you have the doubles, you have enough gas to go into deco, so then you need tech training. It never ends!

Forgot to mention that we did the class in doubles (but maintained rec profiles). You also forgot scooter 2 after tech training :wink:

Mike,

Did anyone take any pics, maybe some topside pics of the group?

....and where's your pictures and video? Don't tell me he didn't cover the shooting-while-on-the-trigger-and-keeping-track-of-team-and-navigating-and-not-running-into-rocks-and-kelp skill in the scooter class?

Last edited:
not running into rocks is harder than what is seems

Mike,

Thanks for sharing your report! I was wondering how it went. Sounds like a great time and a lot of learning too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom