cage diving for great whites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mossym

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hey all, new to the board, had a quick question for you, anyone know of anywhere in the monterey/bay area that organises cage diving to see great whites? looking for some good recommendations...thanks!!!!:=-)

in the Monterey Bay area typically.

There is an organization that does shark dives out at the Farrallon Islands a few miles north of there.

Check out: http://www.greatwhiteadventures.com/

Never used them or anything, so no info, but I would like to do that some day.

Other references:

http://www.divediscovery.com/whales/greatwhiteadventures/framesetGWAFI.html

Golden Gate Expeditions, (510) 814-8256 www.greatwhiteadventures.com/expeditions.htm.
Absolute Adventures, (415) 664-7344,
www.sharkdiver.com

Google will give you more possibilities.

If you do one of these, please let me know how it was!

Wristshot
PS: Not quite sure why sharks are so rare in Monterey area considering the plentiful food sources. I have heard that sharks avoid the kelp, but others say that is bunk.

The big issue with diving with Whites in California is that the operators are prohibited from using chum. I did the white trip they run now in Baja and we did see from 2-5 sharks a day and it is a little less $ (if you divide the price up per day). The only downside is that the whites are not as big as in South Africa or Australia (10-15ft as opposed to 15-20ft)

Try these guys www.sharkdiver.com On our trip we had 11 sharks over three days...not bad considering the price...worked out to about $180 per shark...LOL

Dr Mike1:
Try these guys www.sharkdiver.com On our trip we had 11 sharks over three days...not bad considering the price...worked out to about $180 per shark...LOL
hey mike, we have all done this before so dont feel bad, check out the date this thread was started, the original poster was new, now has been around a long time, how did this thread come up for you to find?????

mossym:
hey all, new to the board, had a quick question for you, anyone know of anywhere in the monterey/bay area that organises cage diving to see great whites? looking for some good recommendations...thanks!!!!:=-)

I did Great White Adventures in October of last year. Conditions were spectacular but with no chum it's really hit or miss. We didn't see anything...very disappointing.

Expensive lesson: If you're not rich, don't get your hopes up for whites cus there's no telling what mother nature has planned.

The expedition to Guadalupe is just as expensive, considering only 3 of the 5 days on the trip are spent in the cage. Still works out to just over 800 dollars a day.
I know it's a long boat ride and there's fishing and a great crew, but let's be honest here: you're paying/going to see sharks.

This still hasn't stopped me from making it a financial goal for next year. I'll never learn my lesson I guess!!!

Best of luck. The people at GWA are awesome.

Great White Adventure on the Solmar V-best white dive there is! In Mexico they can chum, crew is very safe, saw sharks every day, great food, boat caters to divers, no fishing. Would highly recommend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom