Dive Report: Santa Cruz Wharf 10/5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When I can't be bothered driving to Monterey I sometimes just dive the Santa Cruz Municipal Wharf and look at tunicates and hermissenda. Last night was pretty fun.

We started on the east side of the wharf about 8pm, a few hundred yards from the beach. My Intova failed, as I suspected it would (I think the spring switch is wearing out, works okay at 40', not at the surface), so I switched to my older UK light. We descended to about 20' and the visibility is nothing. I can barely read my gauges when I hold them to my face. My buddy and I are touch contact only; I can't see her hands at all.

This was her first time at the wharf, and I'd warned her vis was usually bad, so she figured that yes, I really did dive this. We sit for a minute or two to see if we somehow caused it then I thumb it. We moved to the west side, which was considerably better, almost a foot of vis. Unfortunately, by this time my stupid UK light was out of batteries (I so rarely use it that I must have forgotten to change the batteries). We hang out until it's dim enough that my gauges are hard to read then go home.

So... 25' for 0:16. On the plus side, our tanks have enough gas to do it again. The funniest thing was a school of fish swam up to us and one just ran into my buddy's mask, full tilt. I guess they couldn't see anything either.

Back
Top Bottom