San Francisco Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wheatondiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The family will be visiting the San Francisco area in August. My son and I would like to try to get a dive in while in the area. We dive primarily the cold dark quarries in the Mid Atlantic area. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The NoCal dive section can provide some good information. Monterey Bay would seem to be the best choice. Pt. Lobos state park is world class diving. Boats operate from the bay. There are several dive stores in Monterey for rentals etc. I would think you will hear from some of the locals soon.

I dive Monterey every week. Depending on your experience you have some options.

Even if you have experience in other diving areas, it's a good idea to dive with someone with experience in the Monterey. You got to respect the ocean. Much safer.

You could hire a dive master from Bamboo Reef, Keith or Aquarius, Bruce dive shops in Monterey and they could provide all equipment and provide a guided tour with a qualified dive master for a beach dive. Scuba Diving lessons, classes, courses - San Francisco, Sonoma Coast, Marin, Monterey, Northern California Bay Area | Bamboo Reef Scuba Diving Centers Aquarius Dive Shop - Your PADI 5-Star Scuba Dive Center in Monterey for Training, Equipment, Service, and Rentals

There are nice dive boats you could sign up for a couple of dives. Here is a good link: Monterey SCUBA Diving Charter Boats

It is cold water diving (low 50's) so you will need 7mm wet or drysuit.

Lots of kelp, rock fish, nudibranchs in the area. Pt. Lobos, Butterfly House, and Ballbusters are some great places to dive. Breakwater is the safest beach dive and can be quite nice on a good day. Monastery Beach can be excellent on a very calm day but it is very dangerous, so I don't advise for anyone new.

Dive smart and safe.

Enjoy! I love Monterey.

There are a few spots North and around SF area (talking about hour to hour&half driving minimum)

The more popular diving spots are in Monterey/Carmel/Pacific Grove, about 2 hours south of SF.
Point Lobos State Park is great from what I've heard, but you need a reservation for your dive team.
Other sites are:
- Monastery (get a divemaster or local diver for this, it's takes a few lives every year, both local and visiting)
- San Carlos Beach (AKA Breakwater) - popular lovely spot for new and experienced divers
_______ask about the metridium field if you go here.
- Lovers Pt.
- Carmel River
- McAbee Beach
- Various dives off the local charter boats

Have a great trip!

Lots of kelp, rock fish, nudibranchs in the area.

DUDE!
Mola mola and seals!
How could you forget!? :dork2:

Back
Top Bottom