Amy additional data on possible diver death at Catalina?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otter

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
SOCDC indicated a diver died while solo diving in a cavern on/near Catalina. Nay additional information?

Otter

Because the case is under investigation, the local authorities are not releasing much information. I talked to both major dive shops and they knew nothing. A representative from the LA Sheriff Dept. was able to give a little info.

The diver was lobster diving at night off his own boat near Long Point. He was with a buddy. They dive to about 60 ft and became separated in the dark at about 10 ft during their surface interval. The body was not found until the next day (?) and it was somewhere between Long Point and about Gallagher's Cove (the latter based on my sighting from the Dive Park of the Coast Guard helicopter sent to help retrieve the body. However I don't actually know how close it was recovered). TYhere was no cause of death at the time I called.

This information may change or be further elaborated on as the investigation proceeds.

My condolences to the family. I understand his son was on the boat although I don't know if he was in the water with his father.

Dr. Bill

To supplement the info that drbill provided:

The deceased diver's name was Tony Murdock. His buddy reported that Tony had ~550 lbs of air remaining at 15 fsw and was fine. Tony’s son was on the boat and saw two lights ascending together, but one light then went back down. There is speculation that Tony dropped back down to retrieve his light. His body was found in kelp Friday afternoon with all of his gear on, except for his light. As of Sunday, the cause of death was still being investigated.

My friend tells me Tony was in excellent physical condition, an avid cyclist, very active, and he was known for his spark, his smile, and making people laugh. Tony Murdock left a wife and two children, an ~15 yr. old son and a 2 yr. old daughter.

Thank you drbill, for looking into this for me on Saturday morning. You knew where to get the info and I appreciate the help you provided.

kelphelper

This is very sad.

It looks like the kind of dive we all have done, yet this diver did not come back.

I hope we'll get more info.

My condolences to the family and everyone involved.

I recently dropped my light while on a night wall dive during the safety stop. My first reaction was to go after it since it appeared to be sinking slowly. After a little of thought, I decided to switch to my backup light. I watched as my primary light disappeared out of sight. Some lucky diver probably retrieved it the next day as it was nowhere to be found when I went diving the following day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom