Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

counterpoint

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I would love to have a thread with constant update to Monterey conditions.
Let's try to keep this one going for a while. Post your dive site, temp, and vis report.
Doesn't need to be to detailed. Just so some of us can check local conditions so if we want to make a quick trip down, we know how things are. It would also be nice to know when conditions are epic so we can all play hooky and go diving.

If people want, I can report the surface conditions from the back balcony of the Monterey Bay Aquarium everyday except Wed and Thur.

---------- Post Merged on July 6th, 2012 at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous Post was on July 5th, 2012 at 09:36 PM ----------

So I didn't get a chance to really focus on the ocean. The aquarium is having their Day of Discovery for the next couple days and my attention is focused on all the kids we're working with.

There was a lot of morning clouds which burned off by 11ish? (didn't have a clock all day).
Ocean had some slight movement in the morning but no white caps or swell until about 3pm. Swell was pretty light when it did come in.

I'll try to take a morning and afternoon photo as I come in and leave from work tomorrow.

If people want, I can report the surface conditions from the back balcony of the Monterey Bay Aquarium everyday except Wed and Thur.

I'll try to take a morning and afternoon photo as I come in and leave from work tomorrow.

That would be great.

7/7/12
Forgot to take pics, but the morning had heavy dense fog. The area outside the aquarium was lake-like and crawling with about 30 private and charter fishing boats. (I think it was free open fishing day).
The sun came out around noon but clouds rolled back in towards the afternoon.

Some small swell in the afternoon with the fog rolling back in around 5pm.

Viz is still terrible. The Great Tide Pool in the back of the aquarium had about 5ft viz, which is really bad considering it receives all the filtered water from the inside tanks. Outside look just as bad, but greener.

Lobos had 10ft viz opening may be to 15@ 80ft depth. lot of particle in a water

Lover's point. Overcast + kelp=dark, 15 to 20' vis (at best), 49F (my computer) to 52F (buddies computer), our max depth 28'

Lake-like morning. Some pm wind from the NW. Not to much swell. Cloudy all day.

8 am.jpg Outside the Membership entrance of MBA; morning

8 pm.jpg W. of Hopkins Marine Station (Harbor Seal beach);4pm

---------- Post Merged on July 9th, 2012 at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous Post was on July 8th, 2012 at 07:17 PM ----------

09 am.jpg

Foggy mornings, about an hour of partial clouds and sunshine at noon.
Overcast from around 2pm and on. Water outside the tidepool was very green and murky.

More swell at high tide. More than the previous days.
I plan on taking a BW dive this Wed. I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom