Liquivision vs. Shearwater dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chiali

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Shearwater and Liquivision dive computers owners. What model do you have and how do you like it?

I own a Liquivision XEO. My next purchase will be a Shearwater Petrel. Finding that I just am not that big a fan of the "tap" interface.

probably get better responses if you tried to limit responses from those that have tried both.

However, I have a Liquivision Xen and really like it, but never had the opportunity to try anything from Shearwater.

A friend loaned an X1 to me so that I could try it out. The only thing I liked about it was the small size and bright display.

I then bought my first Shearwater (Pursuit) and liked it so much that I bought a second one. Still being completely satisfied with both of them, i upgraded both to predators when they became available. I am still a cheerleader for SW and still love my Predators. The Petrel is their newest and has some nice improvements and if I were to buy new right now, I would be getting Petrels.

I have no affiliation with SW, just a happy and satisfied customer.

Petrel, unless there's something about the X1's expedition grade features (like the ability to go to 900') that you need so badly that you're willing to put up with Liquivision's customer service, inflated prices, and the tap interface. Or you have a real hardon for the Lynx's ultrasonic location/remote tank sensing abilities, such that you don't mind having a Buick sticking off your HP port and being a beta testing Guinea pig for their software.

Shearwater.

Best of the best, and has the customer service support to match it.

I have the standalone, fischer cable and hardwired hCCR controller version of the Predator and two standalone versions of the Petrel. I've also owned the X1. They're both good companies, but I prefer Shearwater's product. It's easier to read, incredibly durable, batteries are readily available and you simply cannot beat the customer service they provide. I've told the story before, but I had one of my computers go down on Monday and they had a working unit in my hands by Thursday afternoon.

The X1 I found hard to read, less confidence inspiring from a durability perspective and while still a solid computer that would suit my needs for years and years, it just wasn't up to the par. No regrets buying or selling that computer.

For a terrific product though, will continue to buy Shearwater stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom