Sonoma County Abalone diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

red_instead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey, I'm going to be up in *Bodega Bay (4/19) and Sunday (4/20), and could use a buddy if anyone wants to freedive for abalone in Sonoma County this weekend.

Hit me back with a PM if interested.

Last edited:
(I don't have any plans for freediving or Abalone, so maybe this is one of those times to keep my mouth shut. Buuut... for those that may be interested...)

It's more than a 4 hour drive between Sonoma County and San Luis Obispo (closer to 5 to the beach). Is one of these locations a typo?

(I don't have any plans for freediving or Abalone, so maybe this is one of those times to keep my mouth shut. Buuut... for those that may be interested...)

It's more than a 4 hour drive between Sonoma County and San Luis Obispo (closer to 5 to the beach). Is one of these locations a typo?

Yeah I had a brain fart. I'm going to be in Bodega Bay. Thanks for the catch.

I am planning to go with my dive buddy and his son in June. His son wants to try Noyo Harbor and possibly Van Damn. Does anyone have any advice for us about these two sites? We have not been to either one and it will be our first time diving for abalone. Thanks

I am planning to go with my dive buddy and his son in June. His son wants to try Noyo Harbor and possibly Van Damn. Does anyone have any advice for us about these two sites? We have not been to either one and it will be our first time diving for abalone. Thanks

Send me a PM if you want an extra. I might hop on a southwest flight up there for the weekend and join you.

The forecast for next weekend looks BAD. Since this will be our first trip up north, I am hoping to get some local input. Right now the forecast is for 10+ ft swells June 6-8. We are going to Noyo Bay. Is it protected enough to be diveable under those conditions. Thanks

Which long-range forecast service are you using?

The forecast for next weekend looks BAD. Since this will be our first trip up north, I am hoping to get some local input. Right now the forecast is for 10+ ft swells June 6-8. We are going to Noyo Bay. Is it protected enough to be diveable under those conditions. Thanks
If I were you I'd drive south a few miles and go to Russian Gulch State Park. Pay the day fee and you can park right at the beach under the bridge.
There's decent abs to be found along the right side against the rocks in 10 to 20 feet of water. You may have to get through the false bottom to see them, be careful! and don't take any chances.
It's a little bit of a surface kick, maybe 10 minutes but not that bad.
That's going to be about your best option since RG is fairly well protected.
It's also one of our favorite spots, and we're locals.

Don't take any chances though. If it looks too big stay out. We want you to live!
Don't become another Sacramento syndrome victim, please?

Noyo inlet and cove isn't going to give you very good opportunities. It's a busy area with lots of commercial boat traffic and it's fairly exposed. I've dove out on the left side outside of the seawall and it was OK but I think Russian Gulch is better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom