New Melones Lake - Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TerryM

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been searching online but have come up on no real info; any locals diving here? I read somewhere that there is a sunken mining town, but I would imagine it being quite deep...

Well the mafia was found dumping bodies there for awhile.

Most reservoirs around are going to have horrible vis. I wouldn't plan on finding much unless you can get back to a party spot that is shallow and go treasure hunting. You will find sunglasses, possibly phones, cameras, etc. Hopefully an anchor! You might see a bass or two. One wrong kick and vis goes to zero so you better be comfortable diving in zero vis conditions. Consider it an overhead environment as boats won't be looking for you underwater. You will need to either tow a buoy, or send up a DSMB before surfacing for your safety.

My recommendation would be to go wakeboarding instead.

Ugh, sounds like Tahoe and Havasu, but with even less to see... Since I'm going to be in the area for roughly a week I'll bring some light freedive gear JIC, but I think I'll stick with hiking and caving this trip; thanks gents. :)

I've been wanting to dive New Melones for a while now. My partner and I took my Zodiac to the back of the lake past Parrots Ferry looking for caves. The back of the lake has some really awesome limestone cliffs and I guarantee you there are inundated caves to be found. We were primarily focused on finding easier access to Crystal Palace, which we did. We also found several promising bluffs with formations while cruising around the lake, the tell tale sign of caves. We have every intent on diving them next time; we have no plans to penetrate as we are not there yet but I will mark them. The lake is so low right now that finding stuff will be a lot easier.

The visibility didn't look that bad for a lake, I would give it 10' or so.

but I think I'll stick with hiking and caving this trip

If this is your plan, do yourself a favor and don't stick to Natural Bridges and Moaning Caverns. There are several really good wild caves off of Camp 9 Rd if you are savvy. I'd recommend Wool Hollow, Grapevine/Porcupine, and maybe Crystal Palace if you're up for a hike.

Caving in the area is good, but it is best to go with a Grotto. The entrances are kept a secret for good reasons. Although there are plenty of pits to randomly find. Lately my cave (vertical) gear has been getting lots of use performing arborist work. Even bought a new rope, and rope bag, after accidentally dropping a rather large limb, errr tree, onto my rope and damaging the sheath at the half way mark.

As I am sure you already know it gets really hot in the area. Plan on packing plenty of water for any adventures you plan to undertake.

Caving in the area is good, but it is best to go with a Grotto. The entrances are kept a secret for good reasons. Although there are plenty of pits to randomly find. Lately my cave (vertical) gear has been getting lots of use performing arborist work. Even bought a new rope, and rope bag, after accidentally dropping a rather large limb, errr tree, onto my rope and damaging the sheath at the half way mark.

As I am sure you already know it gets really hot in the area. Plan on packing plenty of water for any adventures you plan to undertake.

See that I did not disclose exact locations :cool2:.

I get the secrecy thing in the name of preservation and I would not openly post locations online. A savvy person could take the names provided and find them the same way I did; lots of dedication and leg work.

Back
Top Bottom