I need a test pilot.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm developing the newest model Freedom Plate and I'm looking for somone local (Bay Area) to test dive it for me with a set of doubles.
I don't currently own a twinset, and besides I have back and hip issues so shlepping heavy doubles accross a beach is something I am not thrilled about. I would also like to get outside feedback since this is something very new and different.
This new prototype model now has 11" center holes and can use a STA which means any wing can be used, and is doubles compatible with the development of an ingenious rail system and hidden bolts.
The plate weighs about 5.5 lbs (for comparison)
Please inquire at my other business email: ericsedletzky at yahoo dot com
or cell (707) 318-2577
We can chat and arrange the details.
I'd be willing to drive to Monterey if that's what it takes, but would prefer to stay local to the North Bay.

Thanks.

Eric

Stay in the 'niche' market. Twin 53's will keep you in the wetsuit market. Do the numbers, stay light.

Tiny dubs can be awesome. Doubles takes you into drysuit territory. Don't go there...

---------- Post added July 16th, 2014 at 01:23 AM ----------

Double 60's max. 120 cuft is nothing more than an 80 that you can suck dry and still have your third.

I can try it on my valve-down doubles if you like. I should be heading to Monterey mid August and can pick it up on the way and return it on my return about a week later. I can also lend it to another diver that uses twin steel 80s valve up.

I see no reason not to move into "dry suit country"! There are a lot of attractive things about the Freedom plate, and if it had the same amount of ballast as my current stainless plate AND was usable for doubles, it would be much more interesting to me.

There ya go! Send one to TSandM for a test drive. She will give you a no holds barred report back. BenCA might be willing to use it if you shipped it to him. As you know he doesn't live that far.

I am head heavy with double HP100 tanks and dive an aluminum plate, plus I don't dive doubles often anymore, let alone dive much anymore during my home remodel. These days I use my Freedom Plate with an HP130. Plenty of gas for most of my dives, far easier shore diving, but for boat diving I don't mind doubles. If you ever make an aluminum doubles acceptable plate I would be interested.

I see no reason not to move into "dry suit country"! There are a lot of attractive things about the Freedom plate, and if it had the same amount of ballast as my current stainless plate AND was usable for doubles, it would be much more interesting to me.
Actually, the new Freedom Plate prototype, or any Freedom Plate for that matter is totally dry suit friendly just by default, especially the contoured models. The outside perimiter is rolled away from the diver so there are no harsh edges that bite or pinch anywhere on it.
It "sinks" into your back and feels like it was moulded to fit perfectly. I've seen the other style plates start to chafe areas of a drysuit typically down on the lower corner areas, and sometimes along the edges if the plate has a steep bend to it. Hopefully the FP is the kindest plate to drysuits yet.
This new plate is over 5 lbs, I just don't know how much. My scale only goes to a little over 4 lbs and I haven't had time yet to go get something else.
You are pretty short if I remember correctly from reading your posts, somewhere around 5'2" or 5'3", is that correct?
This new plate is 15" tall so it might be a little tall for you. If everything works well I may romance the idea of producing a small version since there is a significant market for smaller plates. At that time I would gladly send you a prototype to try out if you promise to really try it.

---------- Post added July 16th, 2014 at 07:05 PM ----------

I can try it on my valve-down doubles if you like. I should be heading to Monterey mid August and can pick it up on the way and return it on my return about a week later. I can also lend it to another diver that uses twin steel 80s valve up.
Sounds good.
We'll be in touch.

---------- Post added July 16th, 2014 at 07:16 PM ----------

There ya go! Send one to TSandM for a test drive. She will give you a no holds barred report back. BenCA might be willing to use it if you shipped it to him. As you know he doesn't live that far.

I am head heavy with double HP100 tanks and dive an aluminum plate, plus I don't dive doubles often anymore, let alone dive much anymore during my home remodel. These days I use my Freedom Plate with an HP130. Plenty of gas for most of my dives, far easier shore diving, but for boat diving I don't mind doubles. If you ever make an aluminum doubles acceptable plate I would be interested.
I knew that you dove an AL plate with doubles, that's part of the reason I didn't contact you right off the bat. It's been a long time since we've talked and I had no idea what you were up to these days.
I figured I would throw a line out and see who bites.
I would like to try and get as many people to try it as possible to get as much feedback as I can.
If you want to give it a shot you're more than welcome. I just don't know how the weighting is going to work. As with all the other models, most of the weight is on the bottom because of the shape so that may make a difference, I don't know until somebody tries it to find out.

I would gladly try it myself (and I probably will I'm sure) but then the results are going to be skewed with my opinion only. Every parent thinks their child is adorable, right?
Doubles are a whole different animal, and combine that with stage bottles, argon, valve drills (which I'm very interested to see and hear about), and the rest of the stuff. That's where it needs to prove itself if I'm going to market it as such.
It's just been too damn long since I was into any of that stuff so I'm the wrong man for the testing job.

Yes, I'm 5'2", although I use a regular sized plate. One of the things about the Freedom plate that intrigues me is how much closer together the straps are at the top -- I have to cross mine behind my neck with a regular plate to avoid having them fall off my shoulders.

A plate for doubles needs to have someplace to mount a bungie and an Argon strap, for sure.

I just started to dive dry with a single LP98 or HP117 using my freedom plate wearing a Whites Fusion. I've put 8 dives on it and for me it's actually more comfortable than the different BPs I've tried as it doesn't put any pressure directly on my shoulder blades and with the added SS lift I put on it weighs the same as my old BP within a few ounces. If it works out well and you ever put your new design on the market put me in line to buy one from you Eric.

I wouldn't mind being a test subject, I have a pair of HP100s, and if I could find a manifold, a pair of LP72s. How's the vis at Lakes Berryessa or Hennessey? Would diving a calm lake be a better idea for testing prototype dive gear?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom