Lake Tahoe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icechip

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Not sure if this is the right forum for a post about diving Lake Tahoe, but I just want to say that I had an awesome time there recently when I went out for my nephew's wedding. Met some good people through Sierra Diving Center in Reno and we dove Hurricane Bay. Great experience!

Not sure if this is the right forum for a post about diving Lake Tahoe, but I just want to say that I had an awesome time there recently when I went out for my nephew's wedding. Met some good people through Sierra Diving Center in Reno and we dove Hurricane Bay. Great experience!

Did you have to show any special cert. before renting equipment? Always wanted to dive Tahoe, but other than taking precautionary measures for high altitude diving, do you have to show you've taken any classes?

Tahoe isn't regulated, you just go shore diving, but you will need to rent your gear in the Bay Area or Reno. On the Nevada side you must use a surface marker. If you want to boat dive you will need your certification card, and nothing more. Nitrox obviously will require a nitrox card. Keep your depth shallower, and if you use a computer that compensates for altitude you will be plenty safe. There isn't much to see deeper in Tahoe anyhow. Rubicon Wall goes down hundreds of feet, but I never saw a need to go below 70ft and much of our dive was in the 50ft range. We scootered pretty far along the wall. There really isn't that much to see in Tahoe. Would probably be more fun if collecting crawfish.

There was a sunken sailboat at about 60 feet at Hurricane Bay. That was pretty cool. And we swam up a sunken redwood tree that was on the 45° slope from about 80' to 30'. Saw some Lake Tahoe suckerfish and a few mini-lobsters. The water was a vivid aqua-blue with the viz about 30' (which was much better than what I get here in New England on most days.)

There can be some dramatic views because of the depth and sheer walls. I dive it and will continue to from time to time, but no color and not.much life.

Mini lobsters, that was funny.

Is there a dive shop in south lake tahoe? I am planning a trip next month, wondering if I needed to haul extra tanks or if I can get fills.

No dive shops are located in the Tahoe Basin. There are dive shops in Sacramento, Carson City, and in Reno. Bring all the tanks you plan to use.

I dunno how many tanks I would bring, but I get bored quickly at Tahoe. Might be more fun diving under the docks for treasure at night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom