Monterey diving for a coldwater newbie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FettSolo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey folks,

I am thinking of taking a trip to Monterey early April, and I was curious about going diving! My diving experience, however, has purely been in warm water - Honduras, Thailand, and USVI. Only diving in Honduras necessitated a wetsuit, and even then 3mm was just fine.

So - just how different is diving in Monterey? I know it would require at least a 7mm wetsuit, or even a drysuit (which I have no experience with). I would definitely want to dive with a guide.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated. I just want to get a sense of whether me diving in Monterey is a possibility (and a safe one at that!), or whether I would be better off having my first cold water diving done elsewhere.

Also, any recs on what to do/see/eat in the area would also be great! Definitely going to stop by the aquarium, and I've heard making a trip down to Point Lobos State is great as well.

Thanks in advance!

Monterey is a GREAT place to learn cold water diving. However, it is a greater challenge than most warm water divers think. Between the much heavier gear, the restrictive hood and gloves, the huge buoyancy shifts and the low vis, it's not something ro be taken lightly.

I highly recommend that you hire a pro guide. Contact any of the area shops and they can set you up, give you the advice and instruction needed and show you a good time.

Also, check out http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/ba_diving/newmontereydiver.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a lot of the shops offer guided shore dives for like 20 bucks or so if you don't mind going out with a group. if it is offered, south monastery has quite a bit to see and is easy to handle on good days. the vis there is generally better than in Monterrey. pt lobos is great, may need reservations to dive on the weekends though. for boat dives, there are like 3 boats based in Monterrey but you would have to hire your own DM if you weren't comfortable with just a buddy.

if it is offered, south monastery has quite a bit to see and is easy to handle on good days.

But on anything other than a flat day stay away from Monastery. There have been plenty of accidents there... many fatal because of the nature of the beach and overconfidence in skills and abilities.

But on anything other than a flat day stay away from Monastery. There have been plenty of accidents there... many fatal because of the nature of the beach and overconfidence in skills and abilities.

Most certainly NOT the place to learn to be a cold water diver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I will definitely keep the warning about Monastery in mind! I'd like cold water dives to be part of my future, not the end of it...

Well, I will definitely keep the warning about Monastery in mind! I'd like cold water dives to be part of my future, not the end of it...

Yes, that was excellent advice. South Monastery is just around the point from Point Lobos so the terrain and sea life is very similar but the entry and exit is what can be the most dangerous.

Much better to just go to Point Lobos. The only entry at Point Lobos is from a boat ramp. Very easy entry and exit and Whalers Cove there is well protected.

Are you going to be alone or will you have another diver with you? The biggest difference in cold water diving compared to warm water diving is the amount of exposure protection needed and the extra weight needed to sink that. Because of that, it can really have an effect on your ability to control your buoyancy. As long as you take it slow and add or release air in small bursts, you can get the hang of it.

When the time gets near, post in the NorCal regional section and you might be able to go out with an experienced Monterey diver as well.

Here is the boat ramp...

CAM00728.jpg

Back
Top Bottom