Looking for buddy for Pt Lobos on Sept 2nd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmendels

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a DM from Chicago who will be driving with my wife by Pt Lobos on the 2nd. Have been studying the splendid map they have created, but we would really love to go with someone who knows the site. Lunch or dinner plus your fills would be on me! :)

Joseph

Last edited:
I'll put myself down as a "maybe" rather than leave you wondering if you were shouting into the void with your post. I just had knee surgery last Thursday and the stitches don't come out until Wednesday, but I think I might be able to manage Lobos on Tuesday. Lobos is a very easy entry and exit as long as it's not big seas at low tide. The other part of my "maybe" statement is that I don't know what the conditions will be. There is a hurricane off Cabo that has brought some big swells up this way. I think those swells will die off by Wednesday, but don't know yet.

There's no time to go out for lunch, and I won't hold you to your offer of dinner. But I trust you're willing to spring for Nitox for your dives? It's a long surface swim out to the good stuff, and then you're down deep for a while. If you're on air you have to turn just about the time things start getting interesting.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

This is very kind of you to offer -- particularly as I was starting to wonder if I had perhaps violated some kind of unwritten rule of etiquette in the Pt Lobos reserve or something! :)

My main concern is my wife who is not a strong diver. She has done her AOW with PADI, but still has only about 20-30 dives over the last 3 years. She also is not a big fan of surface swims. This was my main concern at Pt Lobos: I don't mind and even enjoy attempting to figure out new sites, but not when I am feeling responsible for a new diver. Nor is she nitrox certified. Could it be that perhaps the Pt Lobos dive is not an ideal one for her?

Should it be workable, I would of course be very happy to cover any fills. And if lunch or dinner doesn't work, then I would definitely like to do pay you something for your time. Most importantly though, please do not do anything that might jeopardize your knee repair.

Regardless of how this works out, I do appreciate your stepping in to offer. I will send you my Chicago info via PM so that if you are ever in this area, I can try to coordinate a lake dive if that interests you.

-Joseph

lobos gets crowded on weekends, but not many people can make it out there on weekdays (work etc). you can have a nice dive over middle reef without going deep or having to swim out too far. you could hire a guide from one of the local dive shops as a last resort, but it would run 150 to 200 probably.

Hi runsongas - I certainly understand and recognized that people might not have been available/interested midweek. I am grateful to you and Bruce for sharing your thoughts. I did look into shops, but after tank rentals and guides, doing a dive or two was going to run upwards of $200. Just a bit costly for us, I'm afraid. One day I hope that it won't be :) but it certainly is a bit much for us at this point in time. Thank you for your advice! -Joseph

BTW, for what it's worth, I'll offer that I dove with the OP a couple of years ago here in Seattle. He's a good diver and a heck of a nice guy. I wish I were down there -- I'd love to show you lobos!

Well, I remember the lovely time I had diving with you in Seattle a while back and hope to do so again sometime. (Only a bummer it won't be during that Fundies course in Vancouver Island -- drat!!). I'm probably missing something very obvious here, but what is 'OP'?

Ah- I didn't realize you were referring to me! I'm
blush.gif
ing!
Seriously though, thank you for the kind reference, Lynne!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom