Best resources for swell/wave forecast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nathm055

Registered
Reaction score
So there are a myriad ways one can try and get wind/wave/swell forecasts for the Monterey area online. What are the best sites you've found, specifically pertaining to the popular shore dive sites around Monterey?

Hmmm.

If you check CenCOOS and CDIP, at least you would not be flying completely blind.

"The Coastal Data Information Program (CDIP) is operated by the Ocean Engineering Research Group (OERG) of the Integrative Oceanography Division (IOD) at Scripps Institution of Oceanography (SIO). ... CDIP's major funding contributors are the US Army Corps of Engineers and the California Department of Boating and Waterways."

CDIP / SIO Experimental Monterey Bay Swell Model
shows expected height and direction of peaks. Recently tweaked model. Still a work in progress.

-------

Here is a group plot showing three different sets of data from a buoy in Monterey Bay called Station 185. I like this one because the data are raw; they have not been through a whole bunch of reshaping or scaling, just basic noise removal. The three plots show height of wave peaks in feet or meters, period in seconds, and the general trend in direction for that sampling period, in degrees. You can use this second historical page to imagine how the force arrows in the first chart might have been changing over the previous few weeks.

Last edited:
So there are a myriad ways one can try and get wind/wave/swell forecasts for the Monterey area online. What are the best sites you've found, specifically pertaining to the popular shore dive sites around Monterey?

I use Chuck's page. It takes the other info and puts it right on this page. Also he has some pdf's there regarding how to read the data.

Monterey Sea Conditions at a Glance

---------- Post added September 12th, 2014 at 11:27 AM ----------

From the look of it... I wish I was diving this weekend!

Surfline.com. targeted at surfers, but has good info in an easy to read format.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom