Planning my first Pacific Ocean dives in Monterey Bay for February 2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mefinephotoman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be in San Jose, CA Feb. 14 through 21, 2015 and would like to do my first dives in the Pacific Ocean. I have dived the Quarries in Ohio so I am used to 7MM suits. Plenty of dives in the Caribbean and East coast of Florida. Any suggestions on what would give me a good taste of what diving is like in the Monterey area. Boat? shore? any recommendations on tour guide? Thanks

Last edited:
Mid-February is a very unpredictable weather period. A boat would probably make it easier to come up with a buddy unless you plan on diving solo. It also takes care of tanks and weights. However, the best dives I have ever made were in the Winter in Carmel Bay between storms. Best of luck.

I advise you shore dive first before doing any boat dives here. The breakwater at san carlos beach is the most sheltered with good facilities (emergency services, food, air fills, bathrooms, showers etc.). Find a local who is willing to buddy with you and dive right there off the beach along the jetty. There are always many divers there on weekends and you may even be able to find a buddy on the spot. Following the jetty out and back is a very simple easy dive that I personally do solo all the time, day and night and I feel is the best "1st dive" in monterey (It's a great dive for the 2nd, 3rd -100th dive as well) farther out near the end of the jetty you may get 1 or more sea lions buzz past or around you which can be scary at first but once you know what you are seeing is great fun and can be a highlight of the dive.

enjoy

Bring a compass. We were glad to have our compasses on our first Monterey dive at Lovers Point. Visibility was awful and it was mandatory. Knife is pretty much a must-have also because of the fishing lines and kelp.

---------- Post added October 11th, 2014 at 07:29 PM ----------

Oh, and Diver Dan's is an excellent shop that offers DLD's, based out of San Jose. I recommend them.

As Akimbo said diving in the winter in Monterey/Carmel can be great on good days and on bad days well you can still have a nice lunch in Moterey. Most of the dive shops in the area offer guided dives at a decent price but Bamboo Reef is my preferred shop in Monterey. In my opinion pass up Breakwater for now there are many other shore dives in the area that are less crowded Breakwater is were most divers get certified and at times it can be like diving in rush hour traffic. One beach to stay away from your first dive in Monterey/Carmel is Monastery it can bite you and conditions can change quickly during your dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom