Dive Fitness... Would you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

antattack

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey folks,
A couple years ago I completed a Dive Master course which led to helping with a series of rescue classes.

It became very clear to me that if I really wanted to be better rescue skills (and all diving activities,) I needed to be stronger and more fit.

I went to the gym and hired a personal trainer and told her about diving. How I wanted to be stronger AND more aerobically fit. She made a plan for me.

Now it's two years later. I'm fifty years old and stronger and more aerobically fit than I was when I was thirty... or twenty for that matter. Best of all, my SAC went from an average of .68 to .48 when I'm doing recreational dives. Yeah, I'm a better diver now than I was a couple of years ago, but the fitness thing has to be part of the improvement. Just getting to the entry with all my gear used to leave me winded, now I can carry part of my buddies gear if need be.

So here's the question. I think there might be a market for a training program that is focused at efficiently building strength and aerobic capacity for divers. If we put together a plan like this and offered it in Santa Cruz and Monterey... Would divers actually pay to get fit? It would be cheaper to run classes than hire a personal trainer like I did.

What do you think? Something like "Fit for Divers"? Would you?

antattack, congrats on getting fitter. I'm with you on the need for diver fitness. With that said, I personally wouldn't be participating in the program you have outlined for a number of reasons. First, I live too far away (Sacramento area), second, I have to find a way of integrating my exercise into my work day as there is no other time available, and finally the expense of an organized program. Of course I'm also not in your target group - as I have found a way to keep my 57 yo body fit for diving. Lots of divers could certainly use something.

Good for both of you! Looking what is on the dive boats, most divers don't look fit. There are some scarily morbidly obese and struggle just getting into their gear. What happens when there is a "bad" day? The need to be fit to dive is completely down-played.

Good for both of you! Looking what is on the dive boats, most divers don't look fit. There are some scarily morbidly obese and struggle just getting into their gear. What happens when there is a "bad" day? The need to be fit to dive is completely down-played.

:bee: I agree. I am 65 and I start on a thred bike 2 months before any diving vacation.

I think that divers who are concerned about being fit have found a way to do that themselves. You don't need a personal trainer -- just a membership at a Y or Wellness Center. I'm 70, take a muscle pump/core class 3x/week, do a bike or swimming other days. Seems to me that "fit for divers" is the same as "fit for life."

I'd love to find something like this in the south bay.

Ideally something that includes pool work.

Last edited:
A set of P90X3 DVDs will run about the same as two trainer sessions, and are also a lot more convenient.

Absolutely- a set of P90X3 DVDs work great for some folks. Crossfit classes work for some folks.

For me, I need to have an appointment or I seem to put off going to the gym. Also, I find the social aspect of working out with a tribe to be very motivational.

I tried Crossfit, but I'm a bit older than many in those classes. I found that one size didn't fit me. Having the trainer has helped me sort out some mobility stuff.

I spoke with my trainer and she says it's common to create programs tailored for a goal (like SCUBA) and then give guidance for individuals. That way folks who need to work on hip flexors (like me) will have their prescription, but also get the benefit of a group class.

Maybe I'll float the idea past some dive shop owners.

As a diver, you need not only be strong to carry your gear but you need to be aerobically fit! This way one can handle swimming against currents, going down an anchor line, etc. Less aerobically fit divers are more likely to get a CO2 hit since they are more likely to switch to anaerobic metabolism during prolonged strenuous activities.

Back
Top Bottom