Ya know what stinks....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marcus8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Having Lobos reservations for Saturday. Been looking forward to this for a while since I booked it a few months back. Plus our last reservation got blown out around Halloween due to weather as well. 0 for 2 this Autumn.

Oh well, I'll just have to suck it up and pay the $50 I guess if I want to try again later. Wrote my letter of complaint about this latter point.....fee increase. Hope others are as well.

Happy Diving.....some other weekend I guess

Mark

Somebody suggested on the BA yahoo group that the right complaint direction is
"Jim Bilz, the Monterey County District Superintendent for California State Parks to add your voice, he can be reached at 831-718-7348 or via email at james.bilz@parks.ca.gov
"

I'm sure a lovely filter has been setup already, since we don't have any collective clout. However I sent my concerns and recommendation of putting a hold until a more public accounting is held.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marcus8, If the rangers close the park (for diving) you can request and get a refund. If the park stays open for diving you are SOL. I drive even further than you do and have found Pt. Lobos not only diveable, but enjoyable on days where I wouldn't dive elsewhere. That doesn't mean I would plan a trip this weekend, but you might see how things look on Friday before canceling. Please do note that surge doesn't bother me at all, so what I find enjoyable might be awful to you. I will pass on rough entries however....

the calendar is showing today and tomorrow is closed to diving. I have a reservation for sunday that I hope will turn out to be ok conditions.

Lobos is closed to everyone today. Not many folks around, but for the tree crews mopping up fallen tree after fallen tree. Its been pissing rain for a while now, thought wind has died off some. Great storm!
Here is the forecast for Lobos if you haven't seen it yet…. Best of luck!

• Tonight
    NNE wind 7 to 9 kt becoming SSW after midnight. Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. W swell 15 ft at 14 seconds. Wind waves around 1 ft.
  • Friday
    Variable winds 5 kt or less. Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before 4pm, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 4pm. W swell 14 ft at 15 seconds. Wind waves around 1 ft.
  • Friday Night
    Variable winds 5 kt or less. A chance of showers and thunderstorms before 10pm, then a slight chance of showers. W swell 11 to 12 ft. Wind waves around 1 ft.
  • Saturday
    NNE wind around 6 kt. Mostly sunny. W swell 10 to 11 ft. Wind waves around 1 ft.

Somebody suggested on the BA yahoo group that the right complaint direction is
"Jim Bilz, the Monterey County District Superintendent for California State Parks to add your voice, he can be reached at 831-718-7348 or via email at james.bilz@parks.ca.gov
"

I'm sure a lovely filter has been setup already, since we don't have any collective clout. However I sent my concerns and recommendation of putting a hold until a more public accounting is held.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep,

Yep, that's whom I sent my note to as well. I was surprised I didn't even get an automated response.

Interesting dive report on BA Diving today. Right before the storm hit yesterday. The viz is the main determination for me. If I can get 15/20' at Lobos, I can tolerate a lot. It doesn't look good at all with the swell forecast, but we'll be in the area anyways, so will at least cruise by Monastery before deciding.

Thanks for the comment regarding a refund Raftingtigger. I'll definitely monitor that to see if they shut it down.

I emailed Mr. Bliz two days ago and got a reply back today (see below). Now my question is how much does the "Dive Program" cost? At the current rate of $10/per diver, being conservative since they don't sell out every day of the year 1/3 is $36,500/yr. I am curious what the line items are in the "Dive Program" budget?

"Thank you for taking the time I value the input from the dive community unfortunately I do not have the time to respond in the detail as I would like. But it is important to realize that all programs whether a Junior Lifeguard program or a Dive Program should be self-sufficient. Service base budgeting will be the foundation for CA State Parks survival. It is not feasible to take money from one program to cover the cost of another program. All the points you brought up are valid and I will take them under consideration in the coming weeks.
Thank you,
Jim Bilz "

I received the exact same response from Mr. Blitz today. I actually thought, for a moment, that he was replying off the cuff directly to me. Then I saw your posts here and on ba diving. Not looking good folks.

Back
Top Bottom