Shore dives near the aquarium.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cellowithgills

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking for any shore diving spots around the Monterey Bay Aquarium that would be safe for a group of divers with mixed experience (just out of open water to dive master). I have no previous experience with diving in California, but I'm from a spot in Oregon where 4-6ft viz is good and 1ft or less is still dive-able so just about anything will be better. Also, any suggestions for a good LDS for rentals? We will be there the first week of March.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Breakwater Scuba on Cannery Row and as the name implies the breakwater is at their doorstep.

Here's some linkage to a description of Breakwater aka San Carlos beach. Weekends can get crowded, as my instructor described it a long time ago, "Some Saturdays it looks like Dunkirk". And MacAbee Beach, another shore dive a little closer to the aquarium. UW maps.

Macabee beach is good easy dive on Cannery Row and there is a big parking lot right across the street. There will definitely be less divers at Macabee than Breakwater also Bamboo Reef is a good shop to use they are on Lighthouse just a couple blocks from Cannery Row.

I think the original query was how to get in near the aquarium. Breakwater, McAbee, and even Lover's don't fit that bill. This is almost a loaded question. The land right next to the aquarium is owned by Hopkins Marine Station, a facility owned and operated by Stanford University. And all of the land is surrounded by tall chain-link fence. There's a great beach just west of the aquarium which offers very easy entry, exactly what the original poster was trying to find. The only problem is that there is no access to it; Hopkins has it fenced off. The supreme irony is the volume of material published by faculty at Stanford screaming about the importance of open costal access and then encountering all of the fences--and guards--put there by Stanford. Yes, the closest open entry points to the aquarium that I know are at Lovers and at McAbee...and both are a long kick from the aquarium.

Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: California North, USA West - note the reservations requirement at Point Lobos - here's an updated link including the form:

http://www.pointlobos.org/point-lobos-experience/fantastic-diving
Point Lobos, with its sheltered coves, clear water, abundance of sea life, and fascinating underwater topography, is considered the best diving spot on the Monterey Peninsula, and one of the best on the California coast.
http://www.pointlobos.org/diving/reservations

Last edited:
I think the original query was how to get in near the aquarium. Breakwater, McAbee, and even Lover's don't fit that bill. .
No but it does answer the question of nearby LDS...

Hello,
I am looking for any shore diving spots around the Monterey Bay Aquarium that would be safe for a group of divers with mixed experience (just out of open water to dive master). I have no previous experience with diving in California, but I'm from a spot in Oregon where 4-6ft viz is good and 1ft or less is still dive-able so just about anything will be better. Also, any suggestions for a good LDS for rentals? We will be there the first week of March.

Unfortunately, the only adjacent site to the Monterey Bay Aquarium is McAbee Beach. It's a rather underrated site with a very interesting and varying underwater topography. Within the Monterey Bay, you can dive at San Carlos Beach (the Breakwater), McAbee Beach, Lover's Cove/Point, Otter Cove or Coral Street.

If you can dive Oregon, you can dive California without any problems. All dive sites are fairly shallow and you would have to swim a very long way to gain 50-60 feet of depth. Aquarius, Bamboo Reef and Breakaway Scuba can assist you with your rental car, if you're staying in Monterey. If you're staying further north in the San Francisco Bay Area, you'll have a lot more choices.

We are going to be at the Aquarium for a conference. We don't mind driving a little to get to a good spot but it has to be reasonable. Nearby spots (10-15min) and a reasonable entry are the biggest things. All most of us will need is weight and tanks, but a few will need full gear.

---------- Post added December 24th, 2014 at 03:57 AM ----------

How is Lover's Point? Looking a Google Maps it looks like it could be interesting.

If you'll have a car, you should look closely at getting a reservation at Point Lobos. 20 minute drive, great place, relatively sheltered so you can dive it in a greater range of conditions than some other places. It just involves a 100-200 yard surface swim before you drop in.

Back
Top Bottom