Good News about Point Lobos Fees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zf2nt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Like many people in the Monterey dive community, I took the time to write a long complaint letter about the change in the Point Lobos dive fee changes. Today I got a response back and I must say I like it! Without comment, here it is:

----------------
Mr. Bruce Sawyer
I want to thank you for taking the time to express your feelings regarding the proposed diving fee increases. After meeting with a number divers from the dive community and with staff I have altered the fee structure. As of January 1st a diver who make reservations on weekends and state holidays will be charged $15 per person, a team of two divers will cost $30 (this $30 fee will include walk ups). A diver making reservations during the week Monday-Friday will be charged $12.50 per diver, a team of two will cost $25. During the week Monday-Friday a diver without a reservation can walk-up to the kiosk (only if space allows and not sold out by reservation) and pay $10 per diver, or a team of two will cost $20. I am hopeful this fee structure will meet our needs as a Sector an also provide more opportunity for a larger group of divers to enjoy Point Lobos State Reserve.
Thank you,
Jim Bilz
Monterey District
Sector Superintendent
831-647-6268
----------------------------
Unfortunately, I won't be able to dive Point Lobos for a while. I'm on Little Cayman Island until the end of March. And yes, the diving is fantastic here.

Bruce

That is fantastic news, and thank you to the Monterey divers who took the time to communicate with the State about this!

Great news! Much appreciated!

Great news, Bruce! The BAUE board had a two hour meeting with Jim last Saturday. I think he also received a lot of passionate feedback via letters, phone calls, and general complaining at the gate.

Great news, Bruce! The BAUE board had a two hour meeting with Jim last Saturday. I think he also received a lot of passionate feedback via letters, phone calls, and general complaining at the gate.

This is good news but most of us are left with some questions regarding why the fee increase was proposed in the first place and what specifically the dive reservation/entry fee's go to? By chance during the BAUE board meeting were these topics discussed? We can guess there is cost for water, ramp maintenance and bathroom maintenance but have never heard anything specific from the staff at Pt. Lobos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom