Highest elevation driving from Monterey to Bakersfield?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sportyluis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

I'm sorry for the basic question but I'm visiting Monterey for the first time in June and want to do some diving in the area. I have to drive on the last day from Monterey to Bakersfield as my girlfriend just moved there and I'm trying to figure out what the maximum elevation is between Monterey and Bakersfield. The reason I'm trying to get this information is so I can figure out if I can dive the same day I drive to Bakersfield without having to worry about the altitude change (i.e. abide by the no flying guidelines if the altitude on the drive to Bakersfield is too high). I plan on diving at least 2 - 3 tanks a day for 3 days so it isn't like I'm doing just one dive and then driving.

I hope you can help!

Luis

I'm no expert but if there is any elevation I think it's closer to Bakersfield. Monterey is like 20' above sea level. And
it's all pretty flat once you go inland from Monterey to meet up with the CA101 - lots of farm fields etc. It's a valley surrounded on both sides by hills/mountains. Highest is probably when you cross the San Andreas Fault. Just for kicks I googled Cholame, CA in that area - it's listed at 1157'. But it drops down to Bakersfield from there IIRC - I drove it once or twice years ago.

Just don't take the PCH (US1) south and cut over at San Simeon as that's considerably higher. Big Sur is about 5000' IIRC. And I remember climbing from there.

An easy way to find out is trace the entire route on Google Earth. It displays the elevation in the lower right corner interactively as you move your mouse.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I'm not qualified to give medical advice.

According to my topo map, if you take the 101 to 46 your highest altitude point is probably about 1750 feet right over the San Andreas Fault Line, climbing up 46 from the James Dean Memorial Junction (east of Cholame). By the time you get there you've been driving for at least 2 hours.
Personally I wouldn't worry about it too much. But see disclaimer above.

Thank you everyone for your replies. This information is great. I'm going to be safe and not dive the same day I drive out of Monterey as it sounds like there is some altitude on the way to Bakersfield and I'll follow flying guidelines.

Thank you all!

Back
Top Bottom