Should I devote time to a dive in Lake Tahoe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ready4Launch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to be staying at Squaw Valley Creek Resort for a work conference in the last week of July. I may have time on the Friday before I leave, but I'm wondering if it's worth it? Is there much to see? I've got a 9+ hr drive to get back home to Ventura.

Just looking for some general feedback and comments on what Lake Tahoe can offer for diving. Do it once just to say that I've done it sorta thing?

That is about it.

I have dived Tahoe several times and will dive it again. But... I do it at times just because it is a much easier round trip for a day, than driving to Monterey for some "real" diving.

Not a whole lot to see as far as color or life, but there is some interesting topology and a sheer drop of ~800' at Rubicon wall.

Yep. Depending on where you go, the relief can be interesting, but there is otherwise, little to no life. Kind of a one trick pony IMO. Worth doing at least once though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emerald Bay has an "underwater park" which has some sunken barges and a bunch of other sunken structures from an old resort that used to be there. Not sure if it's still accessible or diveable this year due to the low water levels. Last year, we dove in Meek's Bay which is probably the easiest in terms of access to the lake - not a whole lot going on under the water at this site beyond crawdads.
Overall, Lake Tahoe is just different from any ocean diving - feels like floating over a moonscape or something. I would do it again. If you're following the rocks or the bottom, be aware that the slope is not gentle and you gain depth pretty quick. Keep an eye on your depth gauge, especially on your way up as it's really easy to go faster than you think you're going.

Thanks to everyone! Think I will skip it. Don't think Lake Tahoe is going anywhere in the near-near future, so I think I should be able to make it back for a check-off list item at some point. Now that I think about it too, I could take the long way home through Monterey. Would like to dive there again, and much more interesting things for the gf to see, which would be better for her since she's not even visited Monterey before. That 2 birds with 1 stone thing. I like that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom