Snorkelling in Monterey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey all,

Heading down to Monterey today. My brother is going to finish his cert dives Thursday and Friday. Woohoo!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to diving with him at Breakwater on Friday once he's certified, and if it looks reasonable. But Thursday, he'll be done by 9AM and still not certified. So, in the interests of doing something other than sampling Monterey beer all day, I was thinking of doing some snorkelling.

I was thinking we'd poke around and check out some of the more novice shore diving spots to get a feel for the lay of the land...er, water.

Any recommendations with snorkelling in mind? Is it worth the bother? To be honest, I'm ready to be in the water even if it's not stellar...it's been one storm after another up here in Humboldt and I'm getting pretty dried out :wink:

Thanks for your thoughts. Happy holidays, all :D

Gregg

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Hey all,

Heading down to Monterey today. My brother is going to finish his cert dives Thursday and Friday. Woohoo!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to diving with him at Breakwater on Friday once he's certified, and if it looks reasonable. But Thursday, he'll be done by 9AM and still not certified. So, in the interests of doing something other than sampling Monterey beer all day, I was thinking of doing some snorkelling.

I was thinking we'd poke around and check out some of the more novice shore diving spots to get a feel for the lay of the land...er, water.

Any recommendations with snorkelling in mind? Is it worth the bother? To be honest, I'm ready to be in the water even if it's not stellar...it's been one storm after another up here in Humboldt and I'm getting pretty dried out :wink:

Thanks for your thoughts. Happy holidays, all :D

Gregg

I would think the kelp running west from breakwater would be a fun place to play with a snorkel and fins. Be sure to be aware of boat traffic and potential entanglement hazzards, of course.

Still, if N-Coast is your playground, I'd imagine you've spend many an afternoon ducking in and around kelp fronds in pursuit of a prize ab, right?

If it's calm (hasn't been too calm the last few times I've been there), I really like Lover's Cove/Point as a snorkeling spot. We've had great visibility there, we've often seen harbor seals around and under us while we're snorkeling out or back from a dive site, you see lots of fish, and depending on where you go at what tide, it stays pretty shallow and you can see all the growth on the rocks.

Watchout for the GW's, you'll be on the surface...........

have fun, i would think in front of the monterey plaza hotel would be good, on the inside of the kelp, protected and safe, keeps the noobies from getting water in their snorkels

ShakaZulu:
Watchout for the GW's, you'll be on the surface...........

Yeah, I'll be sure to dodge :wink:

We had a lot of fun playing around at Breakwater and the kelp beds. Vis was pretty good once we got out along the wall a ways. Lover's Point was pretty rough so we skipped it. Hopefully next time!

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. Can't wait to get down to Monterey again.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom