Lake Monterey Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustinW

Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't get to dive last weekend (15-16th of Jan.) but I noticed on the swell model that the entire bay was flat as a pancake and getting calmer the closer it was to shore. This must have made for some awesome diving. Was anyone there last weekend?

Justin699:
I didn't get to dive last weekend (15-16th of Jan.) but I noticed on the swell model that the entire bay was flat as a pancake and getting calmer the closer it was to shore. This must have made for some awesome diving. Was anyone there last weekend?

I dove on Saturday morning. It was very calm, though vis was not exceptional (I'm not sure how good it can get - this was my first dive up here). We had about 15' at breakwater and 25-30' at Lovers #3.

I was on the Cypress Sea on Saturday morning and the conditions were the best I've seen in many many dives. We went as far south as I've ever been on that boat, past Lobos Rocks and had two great dives. Que Paso was the first site - 52 degrees at 137 feet and 40-50 foot viz. The next spot was a little further south to a site that didn't really have a name. Same conditions with a little better viz. We came back up the coast to Local's Ledge for the third dive and had a bit of current. Capt Phil said he thought it looked a little faster than a knot. During the hangs at 20 feet the divers looked like they were riding an E ticket at Disney Land. :wink:

Overall the best I've experienced in many many months.

-Bill

Monastery South was lake-like last Saturday. Myself and another DM organized a small group of divers for a couple of dives, and we didn't have our normal trouble getting all of them in/out of the water. There was even an OW class going on there, so you can imagine how calm the water was. Interestingly enough, the instructor had them do the Monastery crawl through "surf" that I'd feel comfortable letting my 7 year old play in. Wait until these guys see the real Monastery.

Anyways, water was pretty green. We had around 20-30 ft viz down at 40-50 fsw. Not a bad couple of dives, logged almost 2.5 hours, practiced some skills for my upcoming DIR-F class.

Mel

I think it doesn't get much better than last weekend. Monterey was just fabulous: sunny, flat water, fairly good viz. I did Lovers 3 on Saturday and was out on Cypress Sea on Sunday. I got some decent pictures with my strobeless camera. There just seemed to be lots of life and more color than usual.

Justin, you really missed out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom