DL Bliss State Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boomx5

Contributor
Reaction score
For those who like to dive Lake Tahoe, I talked with the people at DL Bliss State Park yesterday and it looks like they will be opening for the season on 5/27/05. For those who have never been on the Rubican Wall, it's really an amazing dive. The wall drops off to about 1,000' deep (give or take) and the vis is generally around 80'-100'. The water temp right now is about 41 degrees so I would say a drysuit is a must if you are planning a trip up there. :)

Is the Rubicon Wall within kayak range from the campground?
I'm still using a 2 stroke on my boat so I can't take it to Tahoe.

I dove a wall on the north end of the lake around Alpine Village and it was cool. Lot's of big granite formations and swim throughs. Pretty devoid of fish life except for crawdads, which I bagged up on. I found some cool stuff on the bottom as I was coming in closer to Kings beach. Lots of golf balls, a cell phone, 2 old bottles - one very old one, fishing gear, a big Marlboro beach towel that has become my favorite dive towel (I don't smoke though), and a pair of Oakley sunglasses.

Are there any caves or swim throughs on Rubicon Wall or is it just smooth and straight down? What about 'dads, are there any lunkers?

ZKY

ZKY:
Is the Rubicon Wall within kayak range from the campground?
I'm still using a 2 stroke on my boat so I can't take it to Tahoe.

I dove a wall on the north end of the lake around Alpine Village and it was cool. Lot's of big granite formations and swim throughs. Pretty devoid of fish life except for crawdads, which I bagged up on. I found some cool stuff on the bottom as I was coming in closer to Kings beach. Lots of golf balls, a cell phone, 2 old bottles - one very old one, fishing gear, a big Marlboro beach towel that has become my favorite dive towel (I don't smoke though), and a pair of Oakley sunglasses.

Are there any caves or swim throughs on Rubicon Wall or is it just smooth and straight down? What about 'dads, are there any lunkers?

ZKY

You can walk most of the way out there from the beach and then swim the rest since it's pretty shallow. Using a kayak would also be a good alternative if you wanted to make it out there a bit quicker. Normally, we like to use scooters since it's only about a 5-6 minute ride at a pitch setting of 6.

The wall itself drops straight down, but kind of has ledges at various points. I know the wall is supposed to be over a mile long and we've only made about 3/4 the way to the end and then we turned around. I'm not sure if there are any swim throughs or caves since I've never seen any, but there are a lot of different rock formations crawdads and various other debris and other junk that you can find on the wall. There's also a small dingy at about 200' on a ledge we may go check out at some point this year, but it's pretty messed up.

[Water temp was 57 at the surface and 54 at 60 feet.

Viz was about 50 feet. Worst I've seen it in five years but then again spring run off from snow melt is still real heavy. Eagle falls by emerald bay is running full tilt.

WHen your done diving walk down the trail and keep an eye out for the rope swing. keep your wet suit and boots on. check the water area before jumping or swinging.

Anyone coming up this weekend?

Ed

QUOTE=boomx5]You can walk most of the way out there from the beach and then swim the rest since it's pretty shallow. Using a kayak would also be a good alternative if you wanted to make it out there a bit quicker. Normally, we like to use scooters since it's only about a 5-6 minute ride at a pitch setting of 6.

The wall itself drops straight down, but kind of has ledges at various points. I know the wall is supposed to be over a mile long and we've only made about 3/4 the way to the end and then we turned around. I'm not sure if there are any swim throughs or caves since I've never seen any, but there are a lot of different rock formations crawdads and various other debris and other junk that you can find on the wall. There's also a small dingy at about 200' on a ledge we may go check out at some point this year, but it's pretty messed up.[/QUOTE]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom