Bluestone 6/11 or 6/12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrierHPharmD

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If anybody's interested, I'm planning on doing a few early morning dives on either Saturday (6/11) or Sunday(6/12) if the weather's ban on Saturday. If anybody is going to be in the area and wants a buddy, just drop me a PM or email me at tghjr@bellsouth.net. Right now, the plan is to get there around 0900 on Saturday and be in the water by 0930, finishing around 12:00 or 1:00 pm.

Right now, the plan is some nice and easy dives along the west side of the quarry and then a swim to the PT boat to place a geocache hide somewhere near the wreck.

If we miss each other and you still want to drop by, I'll set up near the Southwest side of the quarry, around the lighthouse.

Hope to see you there,
Grier

It's always a good day to breathe underwater.

I have to work those days but but I'm curious what you mean by "hiding a geocache".

Geocaching is a game that folks play with GPS. Basically, it's like a treasure hunt. One person hides a container that holds a logbook and may or may not hold some sort of "treasure" (typically the sort of prizes that you find in a happy meal, mardi gras beads, etc.) If the container has goodies, it's called a "hide". Then the person placing the hide posts it's GPS coordinates and other clues on the www.geocaching.com website. The only restriction on placement is that the site has to be on property that is open to the public. When other players find the hide, they sign the log and log the site on the website.

The only thing you have to have to play is a GPS and access to the internet. I got a GPS for Christmas, and my kids and I love to look for hides in our area. It turns out that there aren't many underwater caches (maybe 15 or so worldwide), so I decided to place one in Bluestone Quarry, with the owner's permission, of course. I designed a simple hide made from a nalgene bottle with a wetnotes logbook and placed it underwater for testing in bluestone on May 15. Now I'm going back to see how it's held up. If it's intact, I'll place in near the PT boat on the bottom of Bluestone and post the listing on the website. (I'm thinking of listing the coordinates of the PT boat, then listing a compass heading and a distance to swim underwater from some point on the boat, just to make things a little more interesting.

If the game sounds interesting, I'd suggest that you check out the website. It's lots of fun, and you learn quite a bit about navigating with GPS in the process.

Drop me a PM if you want to talk about it some time.

Safe ascents,
Grier

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom