Bluestone Tips & Places to Stay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djbobbyzee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Good day y'all.

We're headed to Bluestone for our first dive ever in the quarry. I've done some preliminary planning with the resources available to me. A few questions for the field, for those of you who frequent Bluestone.

1. Any hints on the surface / thermocline water temps?

2. Any lodging suggestions?

3. Any suggestions on post dive activities? (places to eat, area activities, sight seeing, etc.?)

Any addl info you can provide would be great.
Thanks!

djbobbyzee:
Good day y'all.

We're headed to Bluestone for our first dive ever in the quarry. I've done some preliminary planning with the resources available to me. A few questions for the field, for those of you who frequent Bluestone.

1. Any hints on the surface / thermocline water temps?

2. Any lodging suggestions?

3. Any suggestions on post dive activities? (places to eat, area activities, sight seeing, etc.?)

Any addl info you can provide would be great.
Thanks!

I got a tip: DON'T GO. It's horrible. I was up there a few weeks ago and it was miserably cold below the thermocline. The visibility was really bad and we were about the only ones there. I can't imagine why anyone would actually want to dive a quarry. I was only there to finish the OW portion of Rescue Diver. I kept thinking to myself, I hope this is the last time I ever have to dive in a quarry. :wink:

Sorry, that probably didn't help much.

I can't say that I agree with kabluton's opinion, but it can get a little cold there in the early summer. I was diving there last Saturday (6/11), and the surface temps were around 73, dropping to high 50's at around 28ffw.

The bottom line is that quarry diving isn't like reef diving, or even like sinkhole/cenote diving. The viz and be unpredictable, and the thermoclines can be pretty dramatic. That being said, I enjoy quarry diving because it gives me a chance to hone my skills without taking a long, expensive trip to a prettier place.

Here's a link to an emergency response plan that a couple of DM candidates did a few years ago that gives a pretty good feel for the site. It needs to be updated a bit, but in general it's accurate with regard to conditions and the layout of the underwater attractions.

http://www.scuba.org.vt.edu/images/Blue Stone/Blue_Stone_Resort_NC-DM.pdf

For what it's worth, I'll be doing an IDC there from July 4-14, with the IE on July 16-17, also at Bluestone. If you happen to be there during any of those days, ask Bob Outlaw, the owner, to point you in my direction. You may want to call him about local accomodations. He has a small lodge there, but I haven't stayed in it yet. Here's the link to his website: http://www.bluedolphindive.com/bluestone.htm

If you're coming from out of town, I'd probably stay in Winston-Salem or Greensboro if you want good dining and some nightlife. Bluestone's out in the country a ways.

I use the quarry quite a bit, as it's less than an hour from Charlotte, doesn't require a membership, only costs $15, and is a good place to pick up a stray dive buddy if you're like me and like to be spontaneous about planning dive days. I tend to like the southest part of the quarry a little better late in the season when the temps improve, because the viz tends to be better and the wrecks are a little easier to see. The southwest entry point (an old gravel road leading into the pit) is used by lots of checkout divers, so it tends to have worse viz.

Hope this helps. If you need anything more specific, PM me a phone number and a time to call, and we can talk.

Safe ascents,
Grier

Gonna be a rather large group of us from www.wreckmaniac.com and here diving/grilling and some camping Lake Rawlings Va. this Saturday if you want to join us. It's a "the more the merrier" group and may be closer to you than Bluestone depending on where you are in NC.

On Bluestone. I have dove 2 quarries and Summersville Lake (also the Springs in Fl and the keys). I have to say I prefer Bluestone to Portage Quarry in OH, and even to Summersville. That said, I hear rawlings is far superior to either.

Thank you all for the replies thus far. We're coming out from Wilmington to finalize a few student certifications... The lure to us is the solitude & something new.

kabluton: thank you for the opposing view, I didn't expect Cozumel in central NC so I won't be too disppointed with poor viz. Done S&R dives in the Hudson so compared to that anything is pristine.

GrierHPharmD: thank you for the vast insite. Just downloaded the PDF. I'll be looking at it in a few moments. We're staying at a hotel in Lexington & are looking forward to getting out into the 'country.' I'll shoot you a PM with more questions if they arise.

kristi hager: and thank you to you as well for the invite. We're pretty much set on Bluestone, but maybe we can take you up on the offer another time.

To anyone else who may reply... all and any insite will be greatly appreciated (pro/con views both appreciated).

Happy Diving

We stayed at a days inn at thomasville last time. I found this room off one of the hotel places online (expedia I believe), and it was cheap ($45 a night or so) and clean. It only took 5-10 minutes from it to get to bluestone.

I have dove my fair share of quarries and the facilities at bluestone are some of the nicest I have seen. Nice benches near the lighthouse, awnings for shade, clean bathrooms, showers, and the tram is great. The viz when I was there was in the 8-10' range, but might have been better on the other side of the quarry where students wearn't stirring it up. I still had a great time there and would definately return to dive it with good friends.

Matt

Oh yeah, Matt. I forgot about that last part. The atmosphere at Bluestone is great - lots of dive groups, plenty of shady room and picnic tables to spread gear over while you're doing SIs. I always seem to make new friends (or bump into old ones!) there.

Well, it was a successful trip. I'm going to post a secondary stand alont topic for anyone searching for info on the site... Basically my 2 cents on Bluestone...

But I wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied to this post! It was a fun & well spent weekend. Both Carie & I had a great time & made quite a few new friends. Hopefully we'll meet up with some of the folks who replied to say thank you in person one of these days.

But for now... thank you VERY much for the info. GrierHPharmD your input & pdf was an OUTSTANDING source of info. Let me buy you a frozen cheeseburger next time I'm there.

Have a great dive
Bobby/Carie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom