Rolesville Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradfordNC

Contributor
Reaction score
time for spring training.
lol
went to the quarry last Saturday (March 6th) to do a gear check with a buddy. cold is not the word for it. it was a very crisp 45 degrees in there. the 26 minute dive in a 3mm wetsuit was rather fun.

on a good note, the visibility was incredible, about 35 feet.

that has almost got to be a record for the quarry.....the last time i saw that kind
of vis there was in a January...in a dry suit.

45 deg, Brad you like cold water better than I do, 65 deg is about my limit . I have seen the quarry vis in the 35-40 ft range in the summer but that's been several years ago. The last couple of years it been more like 35 inches. That's why I have been driving the extra hour and a half to Rawlings, the vis there is always 30-40 ft.

Walter, I did not know you had been diving in my back yard before.

Herman,

I dived with Scott (your Wreckmania buddy) at Rolesville Quarry on October 16, 1999. I didn't call because I didn't know you and Kathy then.

yeah, the first time i dove Rolesville Quarry back in 1991 the vis was around 20 or 30 feet.

when i dove it last October the vis was about 3 feet.
its amazing what the winter will do lol

easy to find the rock crusher, and see down through it, around it, across it, really see how its laid out.

crossed from the distant platform to the bus looking for dropped items. stayed about 10 feet off the bottom and could see everything, best vis i'd had. of course i didn't find anything, i'm sure Dave has been out there enough this winter to find any lost gear.

as for the 45 degrees, i didn't think it would be that cold.
the coldest i'd been in was last summer in Orongono Quarry in Missouri. did a 45 minute dive to a depth of 80 feet in 50 degree water. did that in my 3mm wetsuit as well. but just like the dive at Rolesville, one dive was enough for me lol.

i did do about 7 dives at Bonne Terre Mine, that was in 57 degree water, but i rented a 7mm suit there.

lol, it's not about the temp, its about the diving. lol

with that said, i'm headed to Key Largo this weekend to do some warm water dives.

BradfordNC:
easy to find the rock crusher, and see down through it, around it, across it, really see how its laid out.
Huh, I didn't know anything about a rock crusher when I was there in 98. Where is it? How deep, etc? Maybe I was delirious from shiv-v-v-vering. Cold stuff, but where else can you go scuba diving AND take a ride on the short bus?

It's on the left side of the quarry when standing on shore . If you know where the bus is and you are on the divers side of the bus facing forward it's to your left about 50 -75 feet away in about 25ft of water. There is also some of the old conveyer equipment near by.

herman:
It's on the left side of the quarry when standing on shore ...
Gotcha. Would've made that dive a little more interesting had we known, but then, darkness was coming on quickly. Not likely I'll ever get back to Rolesville to see it!

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom