Moving to Durham area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaspider

Reaction score
Hi gang,

I'm moving to the Durham area in July, is there any SSI dealers in the area? Also, what's the diving like and where can I go? How do I sign up to be on/in the loop of the NC wreck divers (you guys)?

Thanks,

Hey spider....welcome to NC....
You will find there are a number of dive shops and clubs in the area. As for
myself...right now I live in the Fayetteville area but will be soon moving to the
Fuquay area and plan to get involved with a couple of clubs.

I too used to live in PA....Harrisburg to be accurate. You will love the coast
of NC...we are known as the wreck capital of the east coast.

I mostly dive out of Wilmington and with www.aquaticsafaris.com....they are a
great group and you might want to look into them.

Drop a line any time you wish....you are moving into the South and we are
known for our hospitality. Let me know if I can ever be of any help.
Rich

Hello Spider
You are lucky that there are several shops around.Water World is a good sized shop in Durham,they have regular charters out of Morehead with Olympus.I was certified with them and they are PADDI.
I live in Chapel Hill and have been diving with Gypsy Divers,a SSI shop in Raleigh.I have done my deep,wreck and nitrox with them.At least twice a month during the season Gypsy gets one of the big boat from Discovery in Morehead City and does two long days,four deep dives.
The diving is great and the people are easy to get along with.
Look at Gypsydivers.com,call Dave the owner and he will answer any questions you have.
Don.t wait too long no matter which of the LDSs or charters you decide to go with.Weekends especially get booked early.
Tom

quimby:
Lets see the Jersey guys say their the wreck capital, and the guys in se fl say they are the wreck capital. How many capitals does one poor coast have??

Most of the magazines rate NC as #1 in North America for wreck diving...this is a trend that has been going on for many years.

A good shop in Raleigh is Reef & Ridge Sports. They are the oldest full time dive shop in the state...Ron is the owner and is somewhat of a legend.

I do A LOT of diving here in NC I usually go out with Diver Down They are bit more easy going than some of the other outfits...their trips are all full day trips so you don't have to worry about the boat being in a hurry to get back to the dock to herd another group out to the inshore artificial reefs.

Things get started up here in late April and don't end until...somewhere around November...I'm on a trip the weekend of April 25th so if you're interested in going, let me know...

Dale
-=-=-=-
:scubadive
dive deep

I'm up for diving ANY TIME but I have a few small problems....I"m still located up north and the second, school isnt finished till mid-May. Plus, I dont have a house in NC yet. But dont worry, asa I get my butt down south, (wish the parents would hurry up, cuz i'd be there 2morrow), I'll get ahold of ya'll and we'll do some diving.. There is just so much down south as far as diving and different locations, the possibilities are endless!! So, yes, I'm very excited and cant wait! Thanks for all the advise, if you have anymore please feel free to share!

:wink: www.downunderscuba.com (Cary) Scubaspider check these guys out! Without a doubt they have THE best shop in the Triangle! Unfortunatly I just moved to Atlanta and cannot find a shop I like. Also Aquatic Safaris www.aquaticsafaris.com is another great shop! (Wilmington)

Save yourself time and go to these shops or anyone in Morehead City.

well welcome and I see I am late again .
I also see that most evryone covered most of the shops .
i have persoally used and still use gypsy out of raleigh NC very easy to get too from Durham right off the beltline.
http://www.gypsydivers.com/
another shop but padi but can say they are great is
http://www.downunderscuba.com/
and even Water World but have never dived with them . and my local shop with is new for the central part of nc and in middle of GOLF country is .
http://www.sandhills-scuba.com/
there are many shopes in the Durham and raleigh area and most that i have meet seem to be good shops , my first choice have to be Gypsy and are SSI , why you ask the staff are great , has one of the most advance equipment repair shops around and think safty all the time .any way welcome the board and check out our yahoo sight and welcome abourd i am working on web page as we speak for this site all most have it done I think lol .

The guys have covered the shops pretty well but they all missed Bills Scuba, located on the north side of Raleigh.. NAUI shop if I remember correctly. I frequent DU and Gypsy, both of which have active clubs you are always welcome to join (or just drop in on the meeting). We also have 3 good quarries in the area, all 1 to 1 1/2 hr from Druham if you have any interest in diving them.

:06: I heard that Bill's Scuba was closed....is this like one of those kinds of sayings..."reports of my death are greatly exaggerated"? Anyone know 4 sure?

herman:
The guys have covered the shops pretty well but they all missed Bills Scuba, located on the north side of Raleigh.. NAUI shop if I remember correctly. I frequent DU and Gypsy, both of which have active clubs you are always welcome to join (or just drop in on the meeting). We also have 3 good quarries in the area, all 1 to 1 1/2 hr from Druham if you have any interest in diving them.

Back
Top Bottom