'drowned towns'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TyGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
a buddy of mine and i have been talking lately about submerged towns in NE and NY. ive looked all over online to try and find some information about it but the only one that really comes up is Quabbin Reservoir in MA. seeing how this supplies 2 million people with drinking water, diving here isnt allowed. ive seen some other threads on SB about this topic but none about any specific region. i think itd be an awesome dive and ill definitely keep looking for some solid info.

There was a video produced a few yars ago (I think by WGBH Boston) using the MSP dive team to film the underwater towns of the Quabbin. The towns were Dana, Prescott, and Enfield, if I recall. It was very interesting and gets replayed every now and then during the PBS pledge drives on the station.

There was a video produced a few yars ago (I think by WGBH Boston) using the MSP dive team to film the underwater towns of the Quabbin. The towns were Dana, Prescott, and Enfield, if I recall. It was very interesting and gets replayed every now and then during the PBS pledge drives on the station.

The name of the film is Under Quabbin: The Search for the Lost Towns which is listed as being available from UMASS although the order form is dated. The story line is as follows: Beneath the Quabbin Reservoir in Massachusetts lies buried history, scientific discovery and lost towns. Ed Klekowski, a UMass Amherst Biology professor with a passion for scuba diving weaves the story and discoveries of the Quabbin to life. Old photos and films are used to show the four towns that were permanently erased from the Massachusetts map to create the Quabbin Reservoir in the 1930s. Join the divers on a historical and scientific look under the Quabbin.

Some pictures before and after, as well as increased discussion, can be found in this link.

Last summer there was some concern about zebra mussels invading the reservoir though I can now only find a brief statement about it as divers were sent in to investigate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom