NJ Shore/Beach Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jah313

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been to all of the beach dive websites and even have a book on beach diving in New Jersey. My dive buddy and myself would love to meet up with some experienced NJ shore divers during the week and dive. Although I have read about all the sites, I would like to dive with others that have the NJ shore diving experience. We dive every other Tuesday and sometimes other days during the week, so if you want to meet up with us sometime and show us the ropes, please pm me.

Where are you looking to go?

I am not picky. I am in Philly suburbs, but will drive wherever for decent diving.

Well, no one ever got back to me about shore diving in NJ, so my buddy and I packed up and drove down on 6/15. We stopped at DiversTwo by the Shark River inlet in Avon-by-the-Sea, NJ. Joe was working and gave us some tips. To make it easy, we drove around the corner to the back bay and dove off the public beach and fishing pier. We had just missed high slack, but the current was slow and depth was about 12' max with 10' vis. It was a great day and we found some bottles and an animal skull, which I have yet to identify. We saw plenty of flounder and crabs, so next time the spear gun is coming with.

Well, no one ever got back to me about shore diving in NJ, so my buddy and I packed up and drove down on 6/15. We stopped at DiversTwo by the Shark River inlet in Avon-by-the-Sea, NJ. Joe was working and gave us some tips. To make it easy, we drove around the corner to the back bay and dove off the public beach and fishing pier. We had just missed high slack, but the current was slow and depth was about 12' max with 10' vis. It was a great day and we found some bottles and an animal skull, which I have yet to identify. We saw plenty of flounder and crabs, so next time the spear gun is coming with.

So there is shore diving to be done in NJ after all. I never imagined it as a shore diving kind of place.

sounds like a cool dive :)

See pic of Belmar basin. My first bootleg late-late-night dive. Massively cool. No current here, just walked down the ramp and into the bay. Parked under the lights next to the ramp. Probably illegal, but I'm a "rather beg forgiveness than ask permission" kind of guy. Not much depth but it was saltwater and a really fun yet tame dive. -just goofing and looking at the sealife with my dive bud. Stay away from the boats, owners get creeped out by nocturnal divers. NJ requires a dive flag, we had one but it was hard to see at night :wink: This dive won't work during the day, very busy place...

There are plenty of people diving there during the day. At least on weekdays. Just stay to the small angular pier on the left in the photo.

Plenty of room to dive at McCleary park ( Next to that peir pictured above.), yes its a bit shallow, though in the times i've gone i've always seen something new.

Just watch out for boats, plenty of times i've heard boats buzzing above. Jah313, if your diving that area some more, head about 1 - 1 1/2 down 35 to the inlet, can sometimes find lobster there. Thought he inlet has some iffy laws.

I beleive you can only dive the stone bulkhead, do not dive the metal wall, diving is also only permitted before 8 am or after 5 i beleive.

Also this is pretty much a slack tide only dive as the current changes quick and is pretty strong. Vis isn't always that bad, the inlet is pretty much a giant muscle bed. At least was the last time I was in there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom