GoPro users, anyone using Backscatter "Greenwater" filter in Northeast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malpaso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I added Backscatter's "Dive" filter (20-50 ft) for my recent trip to St Martin, and was quite pleased with the increased clarity and color on my GoPro videos. Now I'm looking at adding the Top Flip and Greenwater filter for the cold water up here.

Has anyone used this filter in the Northeast?

I played around with it but found that in RI at least, the red dive filter was the way to go. I dove lake with it too, haven't had a chance to view the footage yet though.

I played around with it but found that in RI at least, the red dive filter was the way to go. I dove lake with it too, haven't had a chance to view the footage yet though.

That's good to know. If I can save the $60 I'll be psyched.

Yes....I've been using the Backscatter Green Water filter for most of the summer. I combine this filter with 1 of Backscatter's macro lenses, flipping back and forth. Here is some footage from this past Saturday on a Cape Ann Divers charter (Dry Salvages and Thatcher Island). These were shallow dives in the 25-30 ft range on a very sunny morning. The close-up shots of the lobster and kelp were shot mainly with the Backscatter +10 macro lens, which is supposed to be for distances 8-12" from the subject. The wider angle shots were taken using the green water filter.

Make sure you hover in the video window, click on "Auto" (resolution setting) and set to 1080 HD when it starts playing

Dry Salvages & Thatcher Island - Aug. 2014 - Zurich-Diver

For some additional examples, here is some deeper footage from June at Halfway Rock and BFW....almost all of this was shot using the greenwater filter.

Halfway Rock & BFW - June 21, 2014 - Zurich-Diver

Note that for all of this footage I am using a Sea-Life Dragon 1200 video light and tray.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Great videos! Are you using a tray, pole, body mount, hand held?

Some more GoPro New England diving footage from this past weekend - from Paddock Rock and Picket's Ledge (north shore Boston). On these 2 dives I tried to focus mainly on macro, using the Backscatter +10 lens (8-12 inches from target) on the first dive at Paddock and the Macromate mini (0-4 inches) on the second. This is the first time I've used the supermacro Macromate mini = some decent quality footage, although hard to keep the camera steady at close range with a small tray.

Paddock & Picket - 7 Sept 2014 - Zurich-Diver

Back
Top Bottom