Long Island Shore dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a relatively new diver and am looking to see if anyone can point me in the right direction with shore dive sites. I've been searching the web and found a few lists of places like the bridge out in bridgehampton and the shoram power plant jetty but I was concerned about any regulations or restrictions on diving any of these sites. If anyone has a few sites that are good dives for a beginner or knows of any regulations on the areas most go to it would be greatly appreciated.

I used to shore dive the Fire Island and Moriches Inlets at slack tide... North shore is easier to dive... But you can hardly see your hands in front of you... But haven't dove there in Mean , Mean years...Jim...

---------- Post added May 24th, 2015 at 12:19 AM ----------

Many, Many years...

The west jetty of Montauk harbor is very easy. You can drive right up to it, park for free and have a very short walk across the beach. It is best done at high tide, you can not dive on the channel side and you want to be aware of the current as you get close to the end of the jetty.

There is a pier at Fort Pond Bay that is also easy. You have to park a little further away but it is free. Again high tide is best but there are no restrictions or current to worry about.

Horton Point is an easy dive but hard to get to. There is free parking by the lighthouse but then you have to carry all your gear down a LONG flight of stairs to the beach. High slack is best as the current rips through here. You could do a drift dive if the current is running but this will involve a lot more walking and there always seems to be twice as many stairs to clime at the end then there was at the start.

Greenport jetty is an easy dive but you have to pay to park at a local beach about 1/3 mile east of the jetty and walk there from the lot. High slack is best especially as you go around the tip of the jetty and there is a lot of boat traffic there so you want to hug the jetty the whole way. You can dive both sides and get out of the water only 30' away from where you entered.

Shore diving on LI is usually easy but getting to the sites is the hard part. There is limited access to the beach and the dive sites are not near the access points. I use a sit-on-top kayak to get to most sites.

*Shameless plug*

Good Life Divers is running a Dive local program on long island. Where for $100 you get three dives with an experienced instructor and guide (myself).

I send you a PDF of the dive sites or you can download the PDF yourself, check off what you have done and what you would like to do and we schedule some dives. I show you the ropes and how to dive the site in the future.

*Shameless plug over*

There is also, NJscuba.net and aqua explorers.com, under about us on Goodlifedivers.com I have a google map of some lesser known dive sites and very brief descriptions.

Dan Berg is a local expert on diving. He also created this book a few years ago.

http://www.aquaexplorers.com/beachdivingLongIslandNY.htm#.VWg5Cc65dFI

In my opinion, and as previously mentioned - kind of hard to find clear access, or water on the North Shore sometimes. And for 100.00 bucks three local dives is a great way to get wet / experience locally. Since I hate bad viz. - have always gone out on boats from LI. As you build your diving chops - you will find LI has some spectacular off shore wrecks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom