Jean Michel Cousteau Ocean Adventures Returns in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ltstanfo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
All,

I'm not sure if I am posting in the correct location (please move if neccessary) but I am looking forward to seeing the new (next) episode of Ocean Adventures which airs on PBS on 02 April.

For this show Jean Michel and team return to the Amazon and (among other things) retrace the path taken by his late father several years ago. I think it will make for an interesting "comare and contrast".

Regards,
Ltstanfo

I happened to return to the LA area from Chicago in time to attend the Cousteau Christmas party at the former LA office in 1982. There I was treated to a three-four hour slide show of images from their then recent exploits on the earlier Amazon trip. Only Jean-Michel, Dr. Richard C. "Murph" Murphy (then VP for Science and Education) and I lasted through the entire show. After watching images of Murph's arms turned to raw flesh by the insects of the Amazon, I decided I had no remaining desire to visit there!

I thought Jean-Michel's "Ocean Adventures" series last year got better and better as the series progressed. I look forward to the episodes scheduled this year on PBS.

I spent part of a summer diving with Jean Michel, Dick Murphy, and others in Roaton in 1978. This was before the island was developed and very impoverished.

It was very interesting on many different levels. I could tell some stories. Those guys can drink!

Ha! If you were on Roatan with them, I assume Henry Genthe was there, too. He used to tell me stories about Roatan and the property he bought there back in the 1970's. I wish I had gone. Unfortunately Henry had the property up for sale last I talked to him.

To get back to the OP's original intent in starting this thread...

Tune in (to PBS), turn on (to the underwater world) and drop down (into the water)

Ha! If you were on Roatan with them, I assume Henry Genthe was there, too. He used to tell me stories about Roatan and the property he bought there back in the 1970's. I wish I had gone. Unfortunately Henry had the property up for sale last I talked to him.

To get back to the OP's original intent in starting this thread...

Tune in (to PBS), turn on (to the underwater world) and drop down (into the water)

This was on this east end of the island in Port Royale Harbor. There was a guy building a house (logistical nightmare) and we were invited to a party at his unfinished house. It was pretty cool but I can't remember his name. I don't remember the name of the guy who owned the place we were staying at either. It took a long time to get there; I'm sure it's a lot easier now.

Thanks for the followups everyone. I would have loved to have met / dived with Jacques Cousteau (about all I can claim was that I was a member of the Cousteau Society). Hopefully I'll get the chance to catch up with Jean Michel some day.

Last night's airing (part 1) was interesting but I'm looking forward to part 2. Does anyone know what other episodes are scheduled for this year?

Thanks,
Ltstanfo

Just a quick note that this thread was moved from the Media topic to here. Don't panic. :)

Regards,
Ltstanfo

I can't believe it. Despite a note on my desktop, I was so focused on editing my warty sea cucumber video that I didn't look at the time until 10 minutes after the episode ended. Spawning sea cucumbers are just that exciting! I'm pretty sure the 6 episodes from last year were repeated so I'll have to watch for it to re-run.

Any feedback on how it was?

Part 2 of the Amazon special aired last night on PBS. It looked great in HD! :)

I would have liked to see more diving footage but I understand that was not the message of the show so it's a minor gripe on my part.

I was quite happy to see Albert Falco (former captain of Calypso) make an appearence on the show. It's great to see that he is still active (and diving)!

Regards,
Ltstanfo

This time I did remember to watch. Great to see JMC with Fabien and Celine, and old friends like Dick Murphy and Don Santee. Pam Stacey was involved in the narration. I sent Dick an e-mail afterwards about my preference for shows on the marine environment (being a marine biologist), but did enjoy this episode and thought the messages presented were important ones.

Back
Top Bottom