Help me choose the best school

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pro99line

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I want to choose a school to transfer to once I finish my BS in Biology at the University of South Alabama. I would like to complete my PhD in Marine Biology “Science” at one of the following schools. My main interest is in coral reef ecology and management, and ichthyology. Any recommendations on which school would help to make me a better and more "desired Marine Biologist is greatly appreciated. Once my PhD is completed I would like to work in the US if this makes a difference in school selection. I have looked at all of these but can't decide.

University of California, San Diego - Scripps Institution of Oceanography
University of Miami - Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science
University of Hawaii
University of Queensland, Australia
University of the South Pacific in Fiji

All of the schools you have listed have quite a reputation, but I'd also take a look at the Stony Brook School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences

One thing I have learned (as a current PhD student) is that no matter where you go, your work is going to be more important in most cases than your school's name (in Marine Science anyhow). I did my undergrad and masters at Stony Brook and I can tell you it is a fantastic place.

No matter where you go, look for a particular professor you will want to work with. Contact that professor, tell him or her you are applying and ask if they are willing to accept you in to their lab. Most schools won't take students unless a professor on staff gives the OK and will claim/fund them.

Hope this helps.

if there was a poll (we need a poll!!!) i would go queensland or fiji

global warming and the loss atolls and islands in the south pacific is a growing industry with governements throwing money into research

goodluck

I will do some research on Stony Brook School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences.

The reason I am doing research on the schools and asking other people questions is because I really want to study coral reef ecology and help to make a difference in the preservation of them. I don't care if I don't make much money as king as I make enough to live. I talked to my local professors at the Dauphin Island Sea Lab and I checked out some of their research and none of them focus on coral reefs, so the research they would have me doing would deal more with estuaries and the Mobile Bay coastal system.

I have been to college before and I know in some fields, where you went is just as important as what you know or what you did. I was not sure if this field would be the same or not. I have kinda taken Scripps off my list due to the fact they are more of a Oceanography school and that is not what I want to do. Miami has moved up my list after I found out all the internships they offer that deak with conservation. Also this statement got me "In addition, division personnel have ready access to the NOAA Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratories (AOML), the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Southeast Fisheries Center (SEFC), the relatively nearby National Florida Keys Marine Sanctuary, and the various associated research disciplines within the University of Miami." and "The overwhelming majority of MBF students are supported as research assistants. These assistantships, which are awarded competitively, provide a monthly stipend and cover tuition costs. Students not supported as research assistants are generally supported on special fellowships provided by their employer or, for some non-U.S. students, their home country."

One thing I have learned (as a current PhD student) is that no matter where you go, your work is going to be more important in most cases than your school's name (in Marine Science anyhow). I did my undergrad and masters at Stony Brook and I can tell you it is a fantastic place.

No matter where you go, look for a particular professor you will want to work with. Contact that professor, tell him or her you are applying and ask if they are willing to accept you in to their lab. Most schools won't take students unless a professor on staff gives the OK and will claim/fund them.

Hope this helps.

I agree with this. I've been a university professor for 26 years (the last 10 years at Columbia) and who you study with is most important. Do a lot of reading of people who do research in the field you want to enter. Read deeply those whose work you'd like to use as a starting point for your own work. You want to study with an advisor who is productive (as a researcher) and publishing often in good journals. If you study with someone who is publishing good stuff you will learn the process early and get publications as you're doing so. That will put you in a position to start your own research program--and be competitive for the positions you want.

Steve

I agree with this. I've been a university professor for 26 years (the last 10 years at Columbia) and who you study with is most important. Do a lot of reading of people who do research in the field you want to enter. Read deeply those whose work you'd like to use as a starting point for your own work. You want to study with an advisor who is productive (as a researcher) and publishing often in good journals. If you study with someone who is publishing good stuff you will learn the process early and get publications as you're doing so. That will put you in a position to start your own research program--and be competitive for the positions you want.

Steve

Thanks everyone. You have really helped me to make this an easier decision. I will check out professors studying what I want and see what school they teach at. I will check out my local professors and see what they are doing also. This has been a HUGE help.

I want to choose a school to transfer to once I finish my BS in Biology at the University of South Alabama. I would like to complete my PhD in Marine Biology “Science” at one of the following schools. My main interest is in coral reef ecology and management, and ichthyology. Any recommendations on which school would help to make me a better and more "desired Marine Biologist is greatly appreciated. Once my PhD is completed I would like to work in the US if this makes a difference in school selection. I have looked at all of these but can't decide.

University of California, San Diego - Scripps Institution of Oceanography
University of Miami - Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science
University of Hawaii
University of Queensland, Australia
University of the South Pacific in Fiji

Investigate Professors at each of those schools. All are good schools (I'm a graduate of UM's RSMAS). Find which professor best matches your interest, and go to that school. You might want to inquire with that professor to see if he's taking on students, etc. Also, ask the professors down at the Dauphin Island Sea Lab.

I concur with the advice to investigate professor's interests. Find out who you want to work with and contact them to establish the relationship. Part of it will be what you can bring to complement their research, not just what they can do for you. But, I would also go so far as to advise that you also look at the depth of the faculty interests at a school. When I was in my second year of a Ph.D. program just before advancing to candidacy, my primary advisor (would have been the chair of my committee) transferred to another University in another state (a great move for them). While I was offered the opportunity to come with them, it would have been like starting over and their interests were moving toward fisheries while mine was more in more broad ocean resource development. Luckily, other faculty with similar interests with whom I had a relationship stepped in and I had continued intellectual and financial support for the next few years. Those professional relationships are quite important and really do make the graduate experience. Too bad you can't stay at DISL. I was there teaching one course several years ago during the summer and found the experience absolutely wonderful.

I concur with the advice to investigate professor's interests. Find out who you want to work with and contact them to establish the relationship. Part of it will be what you can bring to complement their research, not just what they can do for you. But, I would also go so far as to advise that you also look at the depth of the faculty interests at a school. When I was in my second year of a Ph.D. program just before advancing to candidacy, my primary advisor (would have been the chair of my committee) transferred to another University in another state (a great move for them). While I was offered the opportunity to come with them, it would have been like starting over and their interests were moving toward fisheries while mine was more in more broad ocean resource development. Luckily, other faculty with similar interests with whom I had a relationship stepped in and I had continued intellectual and financial support for the next few years. Those professional relationships are quite important and really do make the graduate experience. Too bad you can't stay at DISL. I was there teaching one course several years ago during the summer and found the experience absolutely wonderful.

I can stay at DISL. I just honestly did not know the best way to decide what school to go to but now that I have all this wonderful advice I will definetely check out the professors here because that would be much easier on me and I would not have to sell my house to move. I honestly thought that the school you went to was the most important because I know in many fields that appears to be the way it is.

Everyone here has been so helpful and I greatly appreciate all the advice. I will start researching professors and I will post the ones I decide to talk to. I still have a little time before worrying about them sponsoring me but I think after hearing all this advice that is would be good to get start a relationship with the one I choose now and jopefully they will take me in when it is time. I will just do my best in proving myself, my abilities, knowledge and love for the field to them and hope for the best.

After doing some research I found this professor here at my local facility. He appears to have the same interest I have and has done research in areas I would like to study. He has current grants from some good organizations and has published a good bit of information. Tell me if you think this would be a good choice or should I look for a professor with more publications. Richard B Aronson

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom