Bush May Create Largest Marine Reserve in the World (NPR)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oddsnends

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
NPR reports President Bush is looking at a massive conservation program with sites in the Pacific, Gulf of Mexico, and Atlantic.

He is thinking of using the Antiquities Act of 1906, as he did with the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands. The act gives the president broad powers to protect areas of scientific or historic importance without the approval of congress.

Rumored sites include:

1) The Northern Mariana Islands and regions of the Mariana Trench
2) The Central Pacific islands of Palmyra, Howland and Baker
3) Rose Atoll in the South Pacific
4) Reefs and ridges in the Gulf of Mexico
5) Deep water corals off Georgia, the Carolinas, and Florida

map of possible sites

Based on the rapid esculation of prices and the global crude oil situation in general, I veiw that with mixed emotion. Hopefully, the designated areas are known to be oil free.

Interesting post..... thanks.... It would be great if it goes through.

I am glad that deep corals are in this. Whoever is crafting this for the president is really current on the importance of deepwater corals.

I am glad that deep corals are in this. Whoever is crafting this for the president is really current on the importance of deepwater corals.
Who is crafting this the Commander in Chief? Anyone know?

From the article:

Conservationists say that CEQ officials last year invited a small number of ocean advocates to an unusual, closed-door meeting to discuss the idea. The White House asked them to help identify potential reserves in waters within the United States' "exclusive economic zone," which extends 200 nautical miles out from the mainland and U.S.-owned islands around the world.

Mysterious.

Jack Sobel of the Ocean Conservancy is quoted, but it's unclear if the group was part of the meeting.

Of course it all depends on what level of protection is afforded to these areas. For example in some MPA's fishing and other extractive uses are permitted. We'll have to wait to see the specifics.

Call me skeptical, but for W to take interest in this there has to be oil involved.

I think he may be trying to establish a legacy for his presidency. Whatever the reason is, this is great news!

Back
Top Bottom