Teen isolates plastic-eating bacteria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rakkis

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Haven't looked up primary sources, but if this article is even half right, our planet just got cleaner :D

:dork2::dork2:

TheRecord.com - CanadaWorld - WCI student isolates microbe that lunches on plastic bags

Short version: Kid getting scholarship and accolades for isolating bacteria that eats polyethylene. His reasoning? Plastic EVENTUALLY degrades.. he figured it had to do with bacteria and the specific one not existing in high enough concentrations to keep up with our waste. Clean, simple experiment = winner! :O

Can't wait until this is implemented worldwide. Let's hope it pans out!

wow....I wonder what is left at the end...
Well... melt the plastic things around my house, and you're left with...
...batteries... :wink:

wow...i'm very impressed! i wonder if the bacteria can grow in the pacific ocean...if so, i wonder if it would be a good idea to use them on the great pacific garbage patch (a texas-sized floating refuse heap consisting of tons of plastic and other debris, see, Giant garbage patch floating in Pacific).

i would assume more of the same types of bacteria, which in turn will be fed upon by other organisms, etc...

I know it's probably too much to hope for, but what if the bacteria exhaled O2 as a byproduct or as waste?

co2, water, ameno acids, broken polymer chains....not much
They have been doing this for years in the oil industry. It is called "bio remediation".
Wherever there is an organic substance there is a microbe that will eat it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom