Finding and Filming Dead Sharks :( (Thread 2)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sherky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Posted this in the Shark Forum! but putting it here too as it falls under the conservation category.

Heh guys, I need your help on getting locations to film fished, dead sharks.

I'm making a documentary about how we are overfishing and killing Sharks around the world but don't know how or where to get these shots. I live in London and want to travel really to Europe only, but sigh, if there are better places to get such footage, then I am prepared to do this if I can't get them in Europe.

So what I need to find are...

SHARK FINNING
Shark fins, cut off and piled up in fish markets or even collected on boats or being unloaded off boats.

SHARK FISHING
Painful thing to witness and see, but I need to see Sharks being fished or unloaded off boats at the jetties or docks. Particularly the bigger species, Makos, Whites, Tigers, etc.

DEAD SHARKS caught in nets, longline or others.
I need to find any shots of a dead shark or those big piles of sharks that we have seen on the net or anything else.

Again, I have heard that there's a lot of this going on in European countries like Italy, Spain, Norway, France and even England, but I got this big exhausting task of trying to find actual places where this can actually happen. But will go further if I have to.

What I'm looking for are ports, fish markets, jetties, docks, any specific physical places or centres where I can get in there and see and film this, secretly if needs be.

In terms of Shark fishing, I dunno, do any of you guys know of seaside ports or towns in Europe or worldwide where people do this? What I wanna do is get on board a boat that is ALREADY setting out to fish sharks. I DON'T want to MAKE them do this. Meaning, I only want to be on a boat that has already arranged to go out there fishing these Sharks. That way, when I get a shot of a dead fished Shark, I won't have made this happen for my own reasons of filming. A sick and painful thing to watch I know, but for the sake of my film, I gotta put myself through this.

If you guys wanna know more about what it is that I'm doing or who I really am, well for starts, here's some links to a documentary I made about Tiger Sharks already. WALTER AND THE TIGERS is it's name...

walterandthetigers.tk

TRAILER
YouTube - WALTER and the TIGERS Trailer

FREEDIVING safely with the Tiger Sharks…
YouTube - What WALTER Has Learned About TIGER SHARKS

Tiger Sharks caught and killed in the BEACH NETS…
YouTube - TIGER SHARKS vs NATAL SHARKS BOARD

IMDB Page
Walter and the Tigers (2009)

Just to show that I'm genuine and I really do believe in Shark conservation and the whole campaign.My Tiger Shark documentary got me freediving with these lovely animals but then I encountered them being killed then dissected when caught in the beach nets.

Now I gotta embark on a film which involves boycotting and stopping all shark fishing.

So do you guys know of anything? If you don't know, then do you know who I should ask who would have information?

I really could use your help as I am starting from scratch here and got a bog difficult journey to make. Please help. All the best.

The last 6 boats fishing the mako in France are all located at the île d'Yeu ( Atlantic coast).
The government may stop this, if you want to film there you may have to face some agressivity from the fishermen. They had to stop Thuna fishing and anchovy fishing , now shark fishing .

If you visit a supermarket anywhere on the north west coast, you may find dogfish sharks and kitefin sharks at the fish shop .
Every fishing harbour on the Channel sea does this kind of fishing.

The last 6 boats fishing the mako in France are all located at the île d'Yeu ( Atlantic coast).
The government may stop this, if you want to film there you may have to face some agressivity from the fishermen. They had to stop Thuna fishing and anchovy fishing , now shark fishing .

If you visit a supermarket anywhere on the north west coast, you may find dogfish sharks and kitefin sharks at the fish shop .
Every fishing harbour on the Channel sea does this kind of fishing.

Thanks for this too. It seems that Shark fishing is more limited than I thought. Which is a good thing in the long run of course. Hope it remains this way forever though, which I doubt it will.

Actually, the regulations for shark fishing in Europe are quite weak due to several loopholes and consequently finning is probably still relatively common practice. Spain and Italy are the biggest contributors to shark fishing in Europe, and Spain has been one of the biggest players in the fishing and trading of sharks worldwide the past couple of years.

Last summer I found an immature blue shark in a French supermarket. I think I still have a couple of pictures somewhere.

I saw some hammerheads lined up in a traditional market in Meulaboh, Aceh, Indonesia. A friend who visited Banda Aceh showed me some pictures of white and black tips lined up on a jetty.
In Nias island, a dead leopard shark body dumped by the fishermen because no one willing to buy it.
In Karimun Jawa, central java, the locals caught black and white tips using hook and line then put it in a pond isolated using blocks reefs

Heh guys, just bumping this again.

Still need more research on what I'm doing here. Looking to find information, details, and sources for my research on the issue of Great Whites being killed. What I'm looking for isn't so much as to WHERE I can film this, but just getting information on it. I'm looking for more info on...

How many Great Whites are getting killed in beach nets around the world? Like the Natal Shark Board beach nests in SA. What other nets are there in the world killing off Great Whites, and what are the figures or stats etc.?

Illegal Poaching or killing Great Whites for Black Market Jaws etc.
I know this happens a lot more than we think from what some people have told me, but I need to find out more about this. Figures, stats, stories, etc. Anyone know of anything or where or who I should go to to find out more about this?

Great Whites getting fished or finned.
I know Great Whites are protected but I hear they still get caught in the nets that target other Sharks for these purposes too. Again, anyone know where I can go to for figures or stats or more info on this?

Are Great Whites protected enough?
What countries are NOT protecting them? And how well enforced is the 'protection' they are getting in the countries where it is illegal to kill them? I have heard that the policing and practical controlling of this fishing isn't as great as one would expect, and again, the black market trade is still getting away with it.

What are the exact number of Great Whites recorded to this date?
As I have heard that it is around 3500 but I also hear that this may not be that accurate in terms of how hard it is to keep record of this species.

The purpose of me asking about this, is the core of my subject for my film. I wonder if White Sharks being protected is enough to save them. Are they still being killed? If so, is it at a rate which is stopping the Whites recover? If their numbers are low right now, will they go up, stay the same, or even go do down, and maybe one day become extinct?

That's my big concern, so this is why I am asking all of the above.

Sigh, it's a lot for any reader here to take in, I'm not asking for anyone to answer all of this, but if anyone knows any info on any little bit I have asked about, this would be so so appreciated and would be a big benefit to me and lift some burden off my shoulders.

Thanks once again everyone, and my apologies if I'm asking overwhelming stuff.

Hi,

You might want to get in contact with Richard Price who heads on the Shark trust and the Shark Conservation Society. Also watch the trailer of the FinTrail I posted in TV end Films section.

Thanks okidoki :)

I spoke with Richard recently and he did help with a contact. So thanks to you both :) I'm going ahead with my enquiries but if yourself or other people have more information on what I'm looking for, do let me know please. Thanks once again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom