This guy thinks the Shark Finning issue is an attack on his culture.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I assume most here on SB are, I am against shark finning. That said, I don't think Eng's three conclusions are all that mind-boggling.

(1) If CA allows commercial shark fishing (for steaks), it's a bit absurd not to allow the use of the entire animal. Focus should be on protecting all sharks.
(2) Increasing state penalties for illegal shark use/capture is hardly a bad idea.
(3) Given the phase-in period for the CA foie gras ban (eight years), it is hard to see the justification for the one year proposed period for shark fins. Some better compromise might actually be needed.

I chimed in. :)

As I assume most here on SB are, I am against shark finning. That said, I don't think Eng's three conclusions are all that mind-boggling.

(1) If CA allows commercial shark fishing (for steaks), it's a bit absurd not to allow the use of the entire animal. Focus should be on protecting all sharks.
Although that is a logical assumption, what is also at stake here is eliminating the demand for the fins. Allowing the use of the fins could also be acceptable if they can control and limit the legal fishing of the sharks, and eliminate the illegal fishing. That has proved almost impossible in almost all areas of the world.
(2) Increasing state penalties for illegal shark use/capture is hardly a bad idea.
These do not need to be mutually exclusive. But state penalties for shark fins would be impossible to apply unless you could determine the sharks were caught illegally.
(3) Given the phase-in period for the CA foie gras ban (eight years), it is hard to see the justification for the one year proposed period for shark fins. Some better compromise might actually be needed.
So that should be the benchmark? Again, comparing a sustainable, domestically raised product versus a wild caught apex predator and vital component in the entire ocean ecosystem is illogical. Despite years of trying to educate the masses, the slaughter continues at an unrestricted rate. In my opinion the time for compromise has passed. If we do not act now, it may be too late. And for what? A bowl of soup. :shakehead:

Mike, I don't really disagree with you, just pointing out that his three conclusions aren't all that mind-boggling. They're just different than your opinions.

I *do* think it's hypocritical to allow legal commercial shark fishing in CA, but ban the use of those legally captured fins. I'd rather just see all shark fishing banned locally (and afar).

I *do* think it's worth exploring increased penalties. DNA testing of the fins for non-endemic species isn't rocket science. The cost could be passed along on the penalties.

I *do* think foie gras production is as disgusting as shark finning.

Last edited:
I say he's out of touch because he is. He clearly has a myopic view as it relates to the soup, not the consequence. The data is there, shark fining at the current rate will not last much longer. Like any other commodity, the scarcity drives the price and risk people will take to sell or buy it.

His take is clearly to appease his predominantly Asian district and while I don't fault a politician for that, I do fault them when the issue they champion is clearly one that is flat-out wrong. But, like the OJ trial, if you are losing, pull the race card, or in this case the religion/culture card. "unfairly targets the Chinese American community"

I don't see the equivalency between foie gras and shark fin, except that they might both be objectionable to the same political spectrum (San Franciscans, probably). One raises issues of animal cruelty, the other of sustainability.

Mr Eng is disingenuous in that the constituents he is concerned about are not older generation shark's fin lovers, but restaurant owners, and his foot-dragging strategy of phasing in is de rigeur among despoilers of the environment,

I think many people have a very myopic view of the consequences of the food they eat, which extends well beyond shark finning. According to this exhaustively-detailed scientific UN report, livestock (and in particular cattle) account for more greenhouse gas emissions than than cars, planes and all other forms of transport put together. If you care about the environment, this is a bigger issue than shark finning, but I sort of expect there would be a rather vocal objection from most if you tried to ban beef, chicken, and pork from the dinner table.

Livestock's long shadow: environmental issues and options

I do agree that the "race" issue here is being over-played. I just don't think his actual conclusions (none of which directly references the Asian community) are all that nuts. I might not agree with them, but to me, they hardly boggle the mind.

"Many feel, as I do, that the older generation could eventually come to the reasonable conclusion that shark-fin consumption is an outdated, old-world habit."
You can't teach an old dog new tricks! My sister in-laws father is a prime example. He will never change, and vowed to disown his own daughter over shark fin soup at her wedding. It became a huge deal to us, yet there was nothing we could do about it. Tradition, honor, blah, blah, blah...They will not die off quickly enough.

"Therefore, time is needed for educating this diverse community, especially those that cling to traditional practices."
Time as in the older generation dying off? That is how we are slowly getting rid of racism too, although I do believe they have laws against racism. Hmm...

"Younger generations of Chinese Americans are already less interested in the consumption of shark fins. An effective education program would further continue this generational shift amongst Chinese Americans, which would gradually decrease the overall demand for shark fins in California over time."
Very true most of the younger generation Chinese people I know are against shark fin soup, and agree with AB376 to curb their parents desire without starting a family feud.

Or so my insight goes.

Reactions: Jax
I agree that we tend to ignore other issues- at our own peril.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom