Help End Shark Finning and the sale of Shark Products

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kingpatzer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I guess that it will be cattle and pigs next.

Are cattle and pigs being killed at an unsustainable rate? Are they on the IUCN Endangered list?
I don't think killing them is going to result in the collapse of an ecosystem anytime soon.

I can't decide whether this remark was made out of ignorance or arrogance; whichever it was, it was best left unsaid. The best estimates of sharks killed for their fins alone is somewhere between 73,000,000 and 78,000,000 a year. When added to other sharks killed by longlining and as bycatch, the numbers jump to 90,000,000 to 100,000,000. We're talking about the ocean's apex predators here, without which any chance of maintaining healthy oceans is nil. Some shark species have been reduced by 98%.

There is a huge worldwide movement afoot now to protect sharks, and it's gaining momentum. The most important single issue is to educate the public about the damage caused by the market for shark fin soup. China is the number one consumer, and Indonesia, our favorite dive destination in the world, is number one in shark fishing.

I am often troubled by what I perceive as lack of concern by divers towards this cause, and lack of actual constructive activity on this issue. Hopefully I am wrong. In any event, making light of this issue with an offhanded remark has no place here, IMHO.

Highdesert: Hey dude, thanks for the compliment. Sharks are for eating just like all ocean creatures. Ask any Asian. Wait 'til one bites you on the ...... and you will probably change your mind. You say tht 98% are gone. I don't see the sky falling beause of that. Just means more fishies for us since they won't be eating any.

Not sure if you're trolling or you don't understand how species relate to each other in an ecosystem.

Basically, it's the circle of life. If the top ocean predator is decreased, then it leads to an overpopulation of certain species of fish...which can lead to decreasing amounts of their prey (due to over-population of the predator)...and finally decreasing the amount of marine vegetation. The decrease in vegetation/prey will cause significant effects to other species as well. It's a gradual process.

It's the same reason why we don't over-fish.

Even if you disagree with all the ecology behind it, I find it hard to believe that you think chopping off shark fins and dumping (i.e., wasting) the still-living body back into the ocean is justifiable.

I can't decide whether this remark was made out of ignorance or arrogance; whichever it was, it was best left unsaid. The best estimates of sharks killed for their fins alone is somewhere between 73,000,000 and 78,000,000 a year. When added to other sharks killed by longlining and as bycatch, the numbers jump to 90,000,000 to 100,000,000. We're talking about the ocean's apex predators here, without which any chance of maintaining healthy oceans is nil. Some shark species have been reduced by 98%.

There is a huge worldwide movement afoot now to protect sharks, and it's gaining momentum. The most important single issue is to educate the public about the damage caused by the market for shark fin soup. China is the number one consumer, and Indonesia, our favorite dive destination in the world, is number one in shark fishing.

I am often troubled by what I perceive as lack of concern by divers towards this cause, and lack of actual constructive activity on this issue. Hopefully I am wrong. In any event, making light of this issue with an offhanded remark has no place here, IMHO.

Judging by post #5 clearly both ignorant and arrogant:shakehead:

I like rocks

But seriously, if there's a demand, people will find supply. What is the American Government going to do about it? Go to war with any country that kills sharks?
It'd be like telling American's to stop eating candy bars.

What's that show about the whaling? With the "Pirates" that try to stop the whalers, same concept in my opinion. He has his own TV show, isnt that enough publicity? Theres still whaling going on

I love sharks, today I touched my first shark. I do believe that they are necessary for the balance of the oceanic ecosystem. I am also realistic in the fact that theres not much that can be done. If something makes money, someone will do it. Legal or not. Right or wrong. Left or right. A or B

I like rocks

But seriously, if there's a demand, people will find supply. What is the American Government going to do about it? Go to war with any country that kills sharks?
It'd be like telling American's to stop eating candy bars.

What's that show about the whaling? With the "Pirates" that try to stop the whalers, same concept in my opinion. He has his own TV show, isnt that enough publicity? Theres still whaling going on

I love sharks, today I touched my first shark. I do believe that they are necessary for the balance of the oceanic ecosystem. I am also realistic in the fact that theres not much that can be done. If something makes money, someone will do it. Legal or not. Right or wrong. Left or right. A or B

Seems a little fatalistic, although I agree with most of what you say that's no reason not to try. Amazon was selling Shark's Fin Cake, but due to overwhelming negative public opinion they removed it from their site, did this save the sharks? no but it was certainly a step in the right direction, it showed that people are becoming more aware of the situation and are willing to actively do something about it. Every journey begins with one step. Apathy and resignation are the real killers.

This is about decreasing the demand of shark fins in the US by outlawing the sale of shark fins.

In reality they really don't taste like anything. It's just gelatinous cartilage. You don't grill it or roast it. You take the dried shark fin, soak it in wine, broth, or some other type of fluid.
Then you drop it steaming hot into a boiled pot of broth. If you didn't drop it in the broth, it would taste like nothing at all.
Want to know what the traditional broth is? Chicken stock and soy sauce with a bit of garnish.

Chinese tradition dictated that shark fins was a high class meal because of the effort it took to obtain and prepare the shark fin. In those days every part of the shark was used, not just for one type of meal and sometimes not even for a meal at all.
Now only the fin is used and the old folks and traditional folks stick by the now pointless thought that buying your elders a bowl of shark fin soup is a sign of utmost respect.

It's a silly concept, you can order fake shark fin soup and it would taste the exact same.

Look at bottled water or recycling bins. 18 years ago I never saw a reusable bottle or a recycling bin on school property. Now they're everywhere.
How do you think that started?

Back
Top Bottom