I need your help for a friend...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Jeffery Gallant has been a long time friend and supporter of ScubaBoard. Like many in the dive industry, the oceans are his passion and he is looking for a way to really make a difference. Recently, I got this message from him on LinkedIn and decided that I needed to share it with you:

Jeffrey here from the Diving Almanac & Book of Records. Long time no see.

I need your help. I've entered my research group (GEERG) in the Aviva Community Fund in order to launch the world's first webcam shark monitoring system in the St. Lawrence Estuary (Quebec, Canada). If our bid is successful, the HD video feed will be online and accessible to everyone 24/7 on the GEERG website (Greenland Shark and Elasmobranch Education and Research Group).

In order to become a semi-finalist, our project has to finish in the Top Ten in the 50K-100K group. We are currently around 1000 votes behind 10th place. There are 5 days left and people can vote every day. That's 5 votes for every person that registers today.

We can still make the semi-final but I need your help. You're known around the world so if you were to invite your followers to vote, I'm sure we'd make it all the way to the final. I could post my plea on ScubaBoard myself but I wouldn't come near to having the impact of you personally supporting my project for shark conservation.

The webcam project would serve three purposes:

1. Allow me to study the Greenland shark 24/7. I am currently limited to a very short field season and I can only be in the water 2-3 hours per day. A passive camera system would record unseen behaviour such as feeding or mating. Noisy divers in the water interfere with the shark's normal behaviour so the cameras would likely reveal much new information on this elusive species.

2. The cameras would generate much interest in the Greenland shark and Canadian sharks in general. This would in turn incite many Canadians and other 'viewers' worldwide to develop a genuine interest in shark conservation.

3. The cameras would promote the natural heritage of the St. Lawrence System, which is threatened by pollution and unsustainable coastal development.

A vote for our project is a vote for shark conservation so I would be very grateful if you asked you friends, colleagues and followers to register and VOTE ONCE A DAY till October 19.

Incidentally, we'll be launching our new research vessel in the spring and I would be happy to welcome you aboard. Let's get you in the water with the Greenland shark!

Baie-Comeau Shark Conservation / Protection des requins | Aviva Community Fund

Thank you for your consideration.

- Jeffrey

voted!!

I am confused - the quote says vote until October 19th which was a week ago??? The voting page says November 9th so I guess that is the real date.

Thanks for voting!

The Second Round is from October 24 to November 9. If we get enough votes, we'll be broadcasting live video of the elusive Greenland shark in the North Atlantic. This will allow us to study its behaviour and its environment 24 hours a day. It will also promote shark shark conservation, and you will all be able to watch the images at home.

We are currently in the Top 10 out of a group of over 300 projects. Please vote once a day till November 9 and help us help sharks!

Thanks again!

- Jeffrey (President, GEERG) Greenland Shark and Elasmobranch Education and Research Group

Here's a short video describing our project: Please VOTE TODAY for the world's first shark webcam - Aviva Community Fund - YouTubeHere's the link to the voting page: Baie-Comeau Shark Conservation / Protection des requins | Aviva Community Fund

Sounds really interesting! Passive AND cost effective research tools that let ME watch too?! You have my votes :)

Back
Top Bottom