Where do the shells, teeth... etc... they sell in stores come from?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tig45

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I have a bunch of animal parts... mostly aquatic, and most of which I found myself. Today my parents gave me some awesome ocean artifacts they bought... a Fire Oyster shell, a Channeled Whelk shell, a Chambered Nautilus shell, and a Tiger Shark tooth inside a keychain. And it got me thinking... where do they come from? I'm hoping they were found empty on a seashore or on the ocean floor because I hate animals being killed for souveneirs. So what's the verdict?

How sad that this thread was completely ignored! Zero comments in six years!

But if the OP is still interested, I have unhappy news: at least some of those shells were likely killed. In the Dominican Republic, most snorkelers that I have encountered are spear fishers; and while out on the reef looking for fish, they will also bring in giant conchs and helmet snails if they encounter them. The giant conch, they call lambí, and it is served in most of the beach front restaurants.

Back
Top Bottom