Fish: this is your brain on carbon emissions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefduffer

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thought some might find this an interesting read. Fish: this is your brain on carbon emissions

An Ars review summary / popularization of a recent paper in the journal Nature Climate Change about changes in fish behavior in a lab-controlled environment as a result of acidification of the water.

It is true that much environmental science has become intellectual finger-waving with dire warnings of events to come. However, there are a number of holes in the Scripps paper. This includes repeated references to the Yucatan Penninsula site where pH fluctuations are the norm. In fact, any site where you get regular flushing of freshwater (think estuaries) you will get large fluctuations in pH naturally. Like global warming, ocean acidification is more of an increase in the world wide norm.

It has been a while since I've taken a class on this, but I think I remember three types of bioavailable calcium, all of which disintegrate at different rates in decreased pH. The one utilized by pelagic gastropods (not mussels) is the most vulnerable to acidification. When I was learning about this stuff, it was pointed out that pelagic gastropods don't serve much of a purpose around coastal shore lines like the site at the Yucatan, but are a staple of the base of the food chain for southern pelagic ecosystems.

They did mention in the Scripps article that the open ocean does fluctuate somewhat in pH, a fact that has been known for a long time. The worry is what will happen if the upper limit of the fluctuation increases? Nobody knows for sure.

I was going to post this when it came out, but the sole response to the OP being a pointer to an AGW denier site, I just decided to let it drop. It's the same old strategy, make some noises that appear to cast doubt without actually refuting the facts.

But what the heck, I guess I just like the aggravation, and smellzlikefish's post makes me think somebody might care: Ocean acidification already well beyond natural variability

This study directly addresses the geographic variability of fluctuations in acidification that the Scripps paper mentioned.
"... Comparing this to the magnitude of natural variability in preindustrial oceans, the model indicates that we are already
considerably outside that envelope (as the authors describe it, there’s a high signal-to-noise ratio)...."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom