Volunteer in Scientific Diving, Education and Community Projects in Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
IMG943.jpgWe are a non-profit network that contributes to sustainability and the protection of our environment by utilizing the dedication and combined efforts of our volunteers to aid local protection and preservation endeavors. “Arco Iris del Mar,” A.I.M. for short, is Spanish for “Rainbow of the Sea” and is an environmental network in Costa Rica that works closely with local communities to conserve threatened marine and coastal environments on a grassroots level, building up a showcase scenario that emphasises on a system approach. Together we foster the protection of biodiversity enriching the local community through environmental, educational and social programs.

Volunteers from around the world can join us on career breaks, student gap years and internships. They will work closely with our field research teams and in partnership with local communities while contributing to our approaches.

Have a look at our website and contact us today!
www.aim-research-costa-rica.com contact@aim-research-costa-rica.com

Is this an advertisement.... or do you have some information for us about ocean conservation?

It'd be nice to hear exactly how you are contributing towards sustainability and ocean protection - what programs are being run - and what measurable results you have achieved over time.

Likewise, as a "research" body, it would be great to hear about the products of your research - published papers, data collected, input given to academic or governmental level decision making...

I assume all of that is happening... so, perhaps, it'd be beneficial to share it - rather than just advertise for paying volunteers - lest people get the wrong impression of your outfit.

Yes, this is advertisement for volunteers to be part of it. Our costs are very low and just cover the diving, transport, scuba diving, fees that go to supporting the organization, its partners, and its staff, and some meals and snacks. [h=3]
We do have information about ocean conservation on our website. Volunteer, be Part of Our conservation Efforts while you Dive and Learn Spanish in Costa Rica.. Or also on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/A.I.MResearchEnvironmentalVolunteeringCostaRica
[/h]Given the timeframe of 3 months since we started in April 2012, we have achieved quite a lot for ourselves and for our community. But more on some of the projects:

Shark Conservation
We ask you to observe and record information and to take photos. Each shark has its own unique pattern and features. You will be taking notes about the shark´s specific pattern, size and other identifying factors. Following each sighting, the volunteers will be asked to submit the sightings data and images to an online database for the Global Shark Assessment. We encounter sharks on a daily base, mostly White Reef Tip Sharks, and if we are lucky, the magnificent Bull Shark.

Artificial Reef Project
The main objective of this project is for volunteers to help to build, install and regularly monitor the marine environment. You will participate in the decision making process and liaise with different members of the community. The purpose of the Condo fish project is to provide a habitat for the creatures of the sea and to increase their abundance and diversity. The project has been affectionately nicknamed “CondoFish” for the fish habitats, or the “condominiums” that were constructed. This is the first project of its kind to be approved by the Costa Rican government. The success of the Condofish approach is attributed to efficient management, including rational siting, extensive consultation and adequate evaluation.

Community Service
A.I.M hosts a weekly Environmental Awareness & Action day in which the community gets together for a beach cleanup and bonfire! The trash we are using to create rubbish sharkk sculptures and a plastic bottle boat! We are always looking for new ideas and there is never a shortage of enthusiasm from the community. You will have the opportunity to participate in environmental and scientific workshops as well as teach english in local schools. Most of our programs result in art projects that are exhibited at our weekly beach gallery.

Again, we have started in April 2012. As soon as we have data that we can share, we will.

Regards,

Romy, Director
A.I.M Research Project

Wow you are impatient. I have noticed that already. Of course I will answer your questions it has not even been 24 hours. And to take the second post first: I have not said anything so I do not know why you understood it as No to all your questions.

Is this an advertisement.... or do you have some information for us about ocean conservation?

yes it is an advertisment to promote what we do. Otherwise people do not know what we do. Or if I have some information about Oceann conservation? What would you like to know? Maybe I can give you some information for a more specific question.

It'd be nice to hear exactly how you are contributing towards sustainability and ocean protection - what programs are being run - and what measurable results you have achieved over time.

I think I answered this question already but let me attempt again: Here is a typical week of A.I.M
Experience Costa Rica Volunteering News Diving Community Sharks | AIM RESEARCH COSTA RICA. Again, results acchieved over time: We have collected data so far and we want to publish it but we have started in April 2012 and our first data collection week was in June 2012. Things like that take time.

3. I assume all of that is happening... so, perhaps, it'd be beneficial to share it - rather than just advertise for paying volunteers - lest people get the wrong impression of your outfit.
Yes you assume right. And again you are right it would be really beneficial to share it, so I will take you advice and will share it once it is ready to be shared. I am afraid after all your posts, people have already the wrong impression.

---------- Post added ----------

By the way the Artificial Reef is called CONDOFISH and all they get from the Diveshop is tanks and some equipment. You might want to have a look yourself: http://condofish.com/

In order for this project to be effective they need a scientist to monitor it. And also for the approval of more artificial reefs. And with the Condofish we are affiliated with the University of Costa Rica.

---------- Post added ----------

So I am showing the Artificial Reef outline now and also will now update it on the website: This is not finished yet but we are working on it!

The Condofish Project- Scientific Approach Outline

1. Background

1. Coral characteristics
    1. Plant vs. Animal vs. Rock- Actually animal living with photosynthetic algae inside a calcium carbonate skeleton
      1. Coral- polyp on calcium carbonate base with digestive system and tentacles for feeding
      2. Photosynthetic algae- Protozoan (single-celled organism) called zooxanthellae lives inside coral skeleton
    2. Symbiotic relationship with zooxanthellae
      1. Benefit for zooxanthellae: coral provides a safe place to live and nutrition from its waste
      2. Benefit for coral: 90% of a coral’s energy comes from algae photosynthesis, algae aid in calcification of skeleton
      3. Both coral and algae very sensitive to environment- bleaching occurs when a polyp expels zooxanthellae from its skeleton, resulting in its death
        1. Happens with high temperature, pH, contaminants, stress
    3. Tentacles have stinging cells to catch small fish and plankton, but most energy comes from symbiosis
    4. Sexual and asexual reproduction- can either spawn or make identical copies of itself into colonies that can then fuse with each other
    5. Thrive in shallow waters (up to 60 meters), 28-30degC, basic-neutral pH
  2. Coral reef characteristics
    1. Huge structures made of calcium carbonate skeletons
    2. Large colonies of coral can fuse with each other
    3. Take 150,000-200,000 years to form the size of Marshall Islands atoll
    4. Locations
      1. Map- Belize, Mexico, Costa Rica, Washington State, Alaska, South Pacific, Caribbean
  3. Benefits of a coral reef
    1. Called “rainforest of the sea”- provide a healthy, balanced system for other animals to inhabit
      1. High nutrients where there is usually a nutrient “desert”
      2. High food source
      3. High oxygen content
      4. Home and protection
    2. Protect shoreline by absorbing wave action- many islands wouldn’t exist without reefs
    3. Economic value
      1. Tourism- snorkel, scuba, sport fishing
      2. Fisheries
      3. Medical field
      4. Construction
      5. Aquarium field
  4. Vulnerabilities of a coral reef
    1. Very sensitive to its environment- vulnerable to disease and bleaching
      1. Temperature- Global warming
      2. Salinity/pH- Ocean acidification
      3. Runoff/Pollution
    2. Reproductive characteristics
      1. Takes very long time to grow
      2. Asexual reproduction can result in faulty genetics that can lead to end of strain/colony/reef
    3. Coral mining and canal building for construction and medical fields
    4. Overfishing
    5. Aquarium fishing techniques like blast fishing or cyanide
  5. Potential solutions
    1. Status as marine protected area, world heritage status, etc.
    2. Reduce greenhouse gas emissions
    3. Restrict and manage fishing
    4. Restoration
      1. Coral aquaculture: coral “seeds” in nursery, then transplanted to bypass vulnerability of early stages
      2. Gene therapy to create climate-resistant strains (controversial)
      3. Artificial reefs: provide a binding substrate for calcium carbonate skeleton
  6. Artificial reef characteristics
    1. Sunken structures that provide substrate for coral to bind onto
    2. Concrete (blocks or reef ball), tires, ships, cars
    3. Monitoring, research
    4. Potential to be protected from the start

1. Introduction and Objectives

1. Costa Rica reef status
    1. In both Pacific and Caribbean
    2. Pacific decline because of sediment composition and El Nino events
    3. Vulnerable to swells and storms- October 2011
    4. Government working towards protecting every reef, but with limited resources and complications with community/fisheries integration
  2. Condofish Project specifics
    1. Objectives
      1. Build condofish city
      2. Provide habitat and raise awareness
      3. Educational purpose- conservation
      4. Native oyster restoration
    2. Material
      1. 12 Stacked circles of concrete blocks eventually secured with steel
      2. Experimental substrates and shapes- cars, boats, rubble, tires, spheres
    3. Setup
      1. Location
      2. Area
      3. # of Structures
      4. Spread of structures
  3. Where is the data going?
    1. A.I.M. will monitor the reef’s health and success
    2. Eventually protected area

1. Methods
    1. Setup
      1. Perimeter
      2. Area
      3. Size and distribution of structures
    2. Data collection
      1. Data parameters- weekly
        1. Monitoring
          1. Water quality
            1. Temperature
            2. pH/Salinity
            3. Oxygen
            4. Carbon Dioxide
            5. Nutrients- nitrogen, phosphorous
            6. Plankton- species and abundance- microscope?
        2. Species diversity and abundance- provide species information in lecture, ID sheets
          1. Corals
          2. Plants
          3. Invertebrates
          4. Fishes
      2. Scientific diving approach
        1. 2 Groups, each on different dive to avoid disruption
        2. Collect water sample, biodiversity and abundance for structures 1-6, 7-12
        3. Divers in pairs
        4. Divemaster or DMT monitoring 2-3 feet above
        5. Person at beach with oxygen, First Aid, cell phone

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom