Manta Rays at risk of extinction - Chinese Medical Industry to blame...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
China... the foremost ravager of the ocean's... now it's the turn of Manta Rays to fade of the face of the planet... makes me very angry and bitter...

Why does this nation seem absolutely driven to rape the marine environment of it's most wonderful creatures?!?!

Manta ray being driven to extinction by Chinese medicine demand – in pictures (The Guardian)

Demand for the gills of manta and mobula rays has risen dramatically in the past 10 years for use in traditional Chinese medicine. Practitioners say the rays can boost the immune system by reducing toxins and enhancing blood circulation. Other supposed medical benefits include curing cancer, chickenpox, throat and skin ailments, kidney issues and fertility issues...

The report shows photos taken of Manta fishing in Indonesia (prepare to be upset), along with the sale of Manta products (gills) in Chinese markets..

driven-to-extinction-by-C-013.jpg

Attachments

• driven-to-extinction-by-C-013.jpg
    driven-to-extinction-by-C-013.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 983
Lame on a worldwide scale. The problem with environmentalism if you can have 99 people out of 100 agree that a species should be saved, but that one leftover person can be very destructive. Where are these mantas coming from?

"Demand for the gills of manta and mobula rays has risen dramatically in the past 10 years for use in traditional Chinese medicine. Practitioners say the rays can boost the immune system by reducing toxins and enhancing blood circulation. Other supposed medical benefits include curing cancer, chickenpox, throat and skin ailments, kidney issues and fertility issues..."

Well crap, mantas sound like some kind of wonder drug. I might need to stop free basing my bear gallbladder and shooting up my moose penis for a little taste of manta gill.

It's hard to stop a billion people hell bent on killing.

Damn it..Why must the Chinese rape the world for their so called, mystical wonder drugs!
From Tiger Bone and Penis, to Bear Gall Bladder, Rhino Horn, Shark Fin and now Manta Gills..?
Get a friggin grip..this really pisses me off! Let me circulate some blood for them...

Unfortunately the average China Man likely has no clue that destroying marine life is a bad thing. They likely do not think twice about it.

The tourism industry needs to boycott this practice. If it becomes more profitable to save the Rays than things can change.

The real sad thing is that we kill these animals for voodoo ritual garbage medicine. There is likely no benefit to anyone, but the Chinese are a traditional people. However Manta Ray medicine is hardly traditional. In this case a small group of unscrupulous men have created this market....very sad.

Rate which people are multiplying, it is good to screw around for procreation less, from tigers the focus is on for an mantas for an erection ? !! by god !! makes me nauseous

it'd be awesome if someone would develop a deadly toxin that couldn't be cooked out that would be safe for mantas and sharks but would kill humans in the smallest amount. Definitely worth applying to shark fins and mantas.

There is no record of manta ray gill rakers being used in traditional Chinese medicine. This a purely supply-side push driven by greed. Disgusting.

Back
Top Bottom