California Shark Fin Ban Upheld

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great news!

With no disrespect intended for my Chinese friends, we should come up with a non-threatened source that will add texture to soup and price it very expensively so this "synthetic" shark fin soup would carry the same socioeconomic message as shark fin soup used to in ages past. We can't allow the decimation of shark species to continue globally.

I'm a proud Californian today.

Great news!

With no disrespect intended for my Chinese friends, we should come up with a non-threatened source that will add texture to soup and price it very expensively so this "synthetic" shark fin soup would carry the same socioeconomic message as shark fin soup used to in ages past. We can't allow the decimation of shark species to continue globally.

I would argue that pricing a replacement source very expensively would not help reduce the numbers of sharks killed for shark fin soup.

I would argue that pricing a replacement source very expensively would not help reduce the numbers of sharks killed for shark fin soup.

I assume you mean that pricing it very expensively would enhance an illegal trade in real shark fins... and you're probably right on that

I think education is the most effective way to decrease demand. If the Chinese would really know and understand how short sighted this practice is, they would not want to eat it. If nobody buys it, shark finning will stop.

We are currently in the middle of the Coral Sea. Around East Diamond Island we discovered an injured shark who had part of its dorsal fin sawn off and on another sight nearby, we found a bunch of trash with asian writing on it. Correlation??

If the Chinese would really know and understand how short sighted this practice is, they would not want to eat it.

They wouldn't give a crap. Chinese supermarkets sell live animals which are sliced up alive right in front of customers.

On the sustainability front, they won't give a crap about that either. There is still a market for tiger penis, ivory, dried sea horses and god knows what else in China. They will only stop when there isn't a single shark left in the ocean or they are forced to stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom