Article: Dumping subway trains into the ocean ... in a good way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive ops out of the Charleston, SC area take divers to one such site that they call "The Train Wreck."

If you dive the Perry Wreck with Express Watersports out of Murrell's Inlet (Myrtle Beach) there's 40+ of them nearby. They call the site "Grand Central". They're seen on one of their wreck dive videos but I can't find it now.

Capture.jpg

If you dive the Perry Wreck with Express Watersports out of Murrell's Inlet (Myrtle Beach) there's 40+ of them nearby. They call the site "Grand Central". They're seen on one of their wreck dive videos but I can't find it now.

Is it the same site that Charleston Scuba visits? Seems odd there would be two piles of subway cars in the same region, but could be.

Is it the same site that Charleston Scuba visits? Seems odd there would be two piles of subway cars in the same region, but could be.

...Mallon captured his images from a small boat facing the barge in locations including Delaware, Virginia and South Carolina. Some cars have also been dropped in Georgia, although not all site locations are disclosed to the public, as some are used for ecological studies....

Sounds like there are a lot sites.

There's a set of cars at the BP-25 wreck farther out. I don't really know where that is though - not sure if that's a different set or the same ones. Express does it as a 3/4 day trip so maybe it's closer to Charleston. This is what we saw at the Perry wreck site referenced above:
This site contains a tugboat, several Navy landing craft, a shrimp trawler. Swim the Landing Craft deck or crew quarters.

Capture.jpg

I found the video, the cars start about 4:25 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWqyhNVA_Pw&feature=channel

I suppose if you're making the ride out it doesn't much matter if it's from Charleston or Myrtle Beach - they're 90 miles apart via car. And actually Murrell's Inlet is 15 miles south of Myrtle Beach also - slightly closer to Charleston.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom