All right--Japanese whaling ships return home from Antarctic with no catch.+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's hope it stays that way
Looks like they're planning on resuming their research in the future

I found the article interesting for a different reason, and I then explored related articles in the Japan Times. What I found interesting was the perceived point of view of the newspaper--it appears to be opposed to the traditional Japanese practices, both in hunting whales (this article) and capturing and killing dolphins (another article). The second article says that Japan in general is not concerned about these issues, but it implies that Japan's lack of concern is not a good thing and implies that the newspaper is trying to raise awareness through these articles.

That's the perception I got from this quick reading--does anyone have any more information on the degree to which Japanese attitude's toward killing cetaceans may be changing?

Agree -- I don't think their attitude has changed and I wonder why they went to the huge expense of sending out their fleet and returning home with nothing. IF that is true.

When I was in japan, they could care less about anyone killing anything in the ocean. They're kind of in their own little weird MTV'ish bubble. Hard to explain, they're very different. Like the Chinese. They aren't very sentimental about death of anyone or anything outside of their own family.

I can't help but wonder what a Mk48 ADCAP would do to a whaling vessel?

The fisheries associaltion in Japan is very influential. That said, there is an emerging Japanese movement--most notabley the Society to Protect Marine Mammals that has been trying to raise awareness among thier countrymen. Keep in mind there isn't much support for public protest in Japan. It is a big uphill battle, but may be helped by the rising of a new generation.

Back
Top Bottom