Attention Oceanic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clem

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On another thread in this Board I have been in disagreement with A UK lds owner over his stated concept of the "MOUTHPIECE Twitching" in the zeta, I believe is statement to be absurd but he has included the following statement as "PROOF"

Originally Posted by clem
Will you please stop insulting the board and ANSWER THE QUESTION!. Two respondents have now asked to to clarify your statement about "mouthpiece twiching "and you have spent the time to reply twice rudely and SNIDELY. If you have the time to insult repeatedly, perhaps you could find the time to answer the question.
Another round of your snide comments without answering the question will serve as proof to me and the others waiting your answer that you DO NOT HAVE ONE.
If an honest mistake in syntax has been made, admit it. If not, show the board that you are qualified to run an LDS. Afterall, someones life may depend on whether or not their mouthpiece twitches.....

Below is the response...

This from the MD of Oceanic in the UK:

"there are three sizes of mouth piece sm,md,long, that is for the gagging issue they have had with that mouthpiece, if you look at the mouthpiece down into the reg itself you will see the mouthpiece is more elongated then oval or round as are normal m/Pieces, when switching on the bottle it creates a very strong gush of air, this in turn pulls the lugs of the mouthpiece toward each other (hence the 'twitch added by DD) and creates a barrier in the flow of air and creates a back up of air, this in turn forces the diaphram off the control valve and stops it continuing to free flow. "

You are more than welcome to take this issue further with this gentleman. I will not put his name here but if you send an e-mail to oceanic uk im sure he will verify that these are his words not mine.
as for being snide, see my previous reply.
qualified to run and LDS, i neither have the inclination or the desire to justify anything to you. My customers speak for themselves.
Insulting the board? I think you may want to reconsider that as you have thrown nothing but abuse in my direction.
Hopefully thats the end of this discussion, but well see
as a zeta owner for over six years I have never observed the mouth piece to "twitch "and have also attached and succesfully used other mouthpieces. Please answer with a definitive statement from Oceanic as to the veracity of this persons statements and as to the accuracy of his proof from an unidentified Oceanic employee in the UK.
Thanks.

Please post a link to the thread.

I've never heard of an Oceanic reg with three different size mouthpieces.

Thats the thread. I am Clem and very concerned about the entire concept of Oceanic creating a mouthpiece that "twitches" to pull the bit tabs together to create a backpressure that stops freeflowing. It is my contention that there is some serious false information circulating in the UK or that the gentleman that continually changes his story ( read all his posts ) is dangerously misinformed as to the workings of a product that he sells.

To PHILMAYER: Yes, the oceanic zeta did offer three different sizes of a mouthpiece that had longer tabs to allow its positioning deeper into the mouth where your molars would assist in grasping the mouthpiece as opposed to tightly clenching the tabs with only your front teeth. I love this "orthodontic concept" and it appears to be much like the aftermarket "seacure" brand of replacement mouthpiece. However, as I stated in my posts under Oceanicx Zeta cdX-5, I have swapped the oceanic mouthpiece with a "COMFO-BITE" with NO effect on the operation of the Zeta.

"mouthpiece twitching", naaa mine did the jig! When it wasn't free flowing. But when it wasn't it was one of the most awsome breathers made! At last Oceanic traded me a new Delta 4/FDX-10 at the time. I know I took a beating on the cost difference but I was tired of every single time it free flowed on me.

Bob.. did your zeta ever free flow in your mouth while diving?

hopes this moves this thread to the top.. the UK LDS view that oceanic mouthpieces "must be twitching to stop freeflows" absurdity must stop!

STILL LOOKING for some response to this from oceanic. Went diving and my zeta mouthpiece failed to "twitch". Will I DIE?

Let me start by saying that we have had reports of Zetas free flowing that we have attributed to after-market mouthpieces that have been installed. We did not develop specific mouthpieces for it because we had nothing better to do. The opening or "throat" of the Zeta is larger than most other regulators - hence, the Zeta-specific mouthpieces have been designed with a larger opening. It is not true that the Oceanic mouthpiece lugs flutter to stop the free flowing - it is that a smaller sized mouthpiece, as it is stretched over the Zeta opening, effectively narrows the opening. One would think that this would restrict the air flow somewhat, when it actually accelerates it - essentially creating a venturi - where it is possible, depending on how the Zeta is tuned, for it to free flow.

Let me start by saying that we have had reports of Zetas free flowing that we have attributed to after-market mouthpieces that have been installed. We did not develop specific mouthpieces for it because we had nothing better to do. The opening or "throat" of the Zeta is larger than most other regulators - hence, the Zeta-specific mouthpieces have been designed with a larger opening. It is not true that the Oceanic mouthpiece lugs flutter to stop the free flowing - it is that a smaller sized mouthpiece, as it is stretched over the Zeta opening, effectively narrows the opening. One would think that this would restrict the air flow somewhat, when it actually accelerates it - essentially creating a venturi - where it is possible, depending on how the Zeta is tuned, for it to free flow.

Thanks for your response, Doug. While I DO NOT dive as a matter of course with a non oceanic mouthpiece on the zeta, I have used a "comfobite" brand when dental problems neccesitated its use. It has a wider throat than a standard reg mouthpiece which may explain why no problems were apparent.

Perhaps you could email your friend Diving DOC and confirm that he will no longer spread the zeta mouthpiece "twiching" idiocy thoughout the diving community?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom