Oceanic Geo Battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WartedEmperor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I heard that if you do not get the right brand 3 volt CR2430 for your Oceanic Geo that it will show the low battery symbol. I was wondering what time of brand batteries are compatible with the Geo?

I heard that if you do not get the right brand 3 volt CR2430 for your Oceanic Geo that it will show the low battery symbol. I was wondering what time of brand batteries are compatible with the Geo?

All CR2430 batteries are 3.0 lithium cells. If the low batt indicator comes on, the battery was dead to begin with. Personally I like Duracell batteries (my Oceanic Versa Pro uses CR2450s). The only difference between the 2430 and 2450 is the thickness I believe.

I read somewhere that some batteries may not handle the draw when in "diving" mode... and the recommended batteries were Sony, Varta, and one other brand that I can't remember - maybe it was Duracell.

For the life of me I can't find a reference for that information though...

I just purchased a replacement for my backup computer an Atom 1.0.
The batteries I got are the Renata type shown on your LP link.
These are available at RadioShack for $4.99
I installed it today and the computer battery check reads ok.
I know when I bought my Atom 2.0 (my primary computer) Oceanic shipped it with a spare battery kit that contained a Varta battery.
I do believe that battery consumption was more a problem for the Atom 1.0 as a had another Atom 1.0 that used up batteries very rapidly.

There has been some comment that the battery issues with the Aries/Oceanic DC's may be related to tarnish on the DC battery contacts (and/or faces of the battery itself) causing some issues. One recommendation was to be sure to polish (with a rubber eraser) both the contacts and the faces of the battery when changing the battery.

My success with differing battery brands has been inconsistent, including the recommended Sony batteries. The DCs works ok for a few days then the low-indicator (LI) comes back after a few dives.

This last time I went the polish route: both the DC contacts as well as the battery. So far, two weeks, two pool dives and a weekend of diving with no LI on either DC. (and I've possibly now jinxed myself and tonight at the pool will find that damn low marker :confused6: )

So you think any brand of battery will work? Just make sure you shine up the contact points.

All I can say is that I tried 5 different branded and 3rd party batteries and, prior to the polishing routine, each only lasted a few days before giving me the low indicator. That included Panasonic, Energizer, Sony and then some others. Not that the DC would fail, just it would always start up with the LI flashing for a period of time.

On a side note, I was working at the pool last night and was pleasantly surprised to turn on the DCs and still no LI flashing! This is making me cautiously optimistic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom